Thread: Rick Z and the Boa Yarn

Threaded View

Default Rick Z and the Boa Yarn

To Rick Z.

There is a reservoir near here that has crappie. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I hit it and really caught the fish, abet on the small side but fun. Friend Zeke is a spin guy and was using the normal bobber/jig set up while I was fly fishing. Zeke was catching two fish to my one despite me trying several different flies.

So after returning home I took some jig skirts and tied them on a 2x long shank hook. Went back there & knocked the crappie on the skirt but only caught about 1 fish out of 4 on the dropper fly I had below the skirt. Tried several different pattens with the same results.

Went back today and was getting a repeat performance - most fish on the jig skirt. Lost my dropper fly on a snag and looked through my assortment of 1 million flies to replace it with. Decided to try a Boa Yarn leech you sent me some time back.. Results were immediate. Ratio flipped to 3 out of 4 on the boa. Maybe I am on to something?

Thanks Rick.

Tim

Added Info: I have talked about boa yarn flies in the past however all of the flies I tied and used were on large hooks, like #4 to 2/0. The fly Rick sent me looks like a #10 hook.
    Last edited by Panman; 08-16-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: I goofed