+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have never thought it would happen think again

Default If you have never thought it would happen think again

My wife and I went out to our favorite stream about an hours drive...normally we take the dogs... this is the first outing of the summer for the dogs 2 boxers and 1 shih tzu... well I have never had any bad snake dog encouters before today and very few encounters snake versus fisherman in the 30 plus years fishing in an area that it is not unusual to encounter rattle snakes, bull, water snakes etc. ... to get to the point our female boxer was doing her normal exploring when we heard a yip which is uncommon for her... so I wasstartled I called she came running from about 50 ft away and jumped in the cool water and pawing at her face I examined her and observed 2 bleeding holes just above her right eye I had my wife come and we left in a hurry me carrying the dog to the car and making a fast exit to the nearest county vet very fotunate to be only about 10 miles away we had never thought of getting our dogs vacinated for rattlesnake bitesWe will be after today! Our girl is very uncomfortable tonight but the vet told us she had a very good chance of living a long life with the regimine of meds she is now taking for the short term.., so take my little lesson and pay the 25 dollars for the shot and it will save you a lot of money and heartache if you lose your beloveded pet.

Flyfisher121

Blog Entries

WOW glad your boxer is going to be OK, I have gone through the heartache of an ill pet, and it hurts!

Good thoughts and a speedy recovery ..
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 07-07-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

That was a close call, but its good to know a vet was close by.
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

Thanks,
    Our Boxer girl is doing better today, Our vet wanted her for observation and look at the eyes there is some discharge from them...so she will be at the vets fr the day we will pick her up this afternoon!
    Flyfisher121

Thank goodness you reacted correctly & a Vet was nearby. I'm sure your post has helped some folks avoid possible tragedy.
    Thanks for a good thread & glad to hear the pup is on the mend.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Glad your dog is ok. Better yet is keep your dog leashed when in the woods. I have a black lab about a year and a half old and I always keep her leased because I am afraid she will find a snake or somthing else. I don't see many rattlers in central PA however they are their. We also have bears and two weeks ago my lab was off leash and she is very good off leash however she still is a pup. A large black bear came up from the creek about 10 yards away and my lab thought it would be fun to chase the bear. She followed for about 50 yards and finnally heard my screaming and came back. She was lucky the bear decided to run rather then take a swat at her. The moral of the story is, keep your dog on a leash unless hunting or be real prepared for somthing bad to happen; you may think your dog is safe but things happen real fast. I have only seen 2 bears in that area in the last couple of years and we were lucky the other day. I learned my lesson.

Steve

Flyfisher121;

Did you say that there is a vaccination for snake bites?

Species specific or generic?

Glad your dog is better....a little secret to getting even is to keep about 5 feet of old but tough piece of Garden Hose with you if you think you might be in poisonous snake territory......and just whoop that snakes head and it will come right off.....thats what we do here in west texas...trust me it works reeaallyy well on pavement or a good flat place.....he wont bother you or your pet for long.....just knock his teeth out...lolol...seriously.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Flyfisher121, I'm glad your boxer girl is going to be ok.
    My queensland heeler, Bela, was bitten several years ago. We had discussed getting the vaccine for her but was told by our vet that vaccine does not work for Mojave Rattlesnakes. Go figure. One bite. She had to have a blood transfusion and spent 4 nights in a cage being monitored. Thankfully she pulled through and is healthy and active now.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
    Flyfisher121;

Did you say that there is a vaccination for snake bites?

Species specific or generic?
    Yes for western diamondback and some similar snakes go to red rock biologics look under faqs
    Flyfisher121
    Christian doctrine is Grace...Christian conduct is Gratitude~ J.I. Packer

+ Reply to Thread