+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook Sizes For Winged Wets

Hi Cold,

I've never bought them online, but here's what I found doing a google search on black magic hooks online
    http://www.blackmagic.co.nz/catalogue/freshwater.php
    this should take you to a page with 2 links as the hooks are divided over two pages.

These hooks are silver (stainless), though they look black in this image, and have very small barbs. I like the A series for wee wets, and E series for dries.

As I say, I've never used their online ordering before, but it's worth looking at.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

My wet fly fishing tends to be relegated to the spring and I mostly use wets - starling and herl, Palm BWO emerger, partridge and olive, etc.

So somebody answer this...Unless I'm tying something that is totally an attractor - say like a Parmachene Belle - why wouldn't I be tying winged wets on hooks the size of the mayflies and caddis that populate whatever stream I'm on?

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    So somebody answer this...Unless I'm tying something that is totally an attractor - say like a Parmachene Belle - why wouldn't I be tying winged wets on hooks the size of the mayflies and caddis that populate whatever stream I'm on?
    i dont see anything wrong with tying flies in the size of insect you are trying to imitate

Quote Originally Posted by mahanvey View Post
    #10 - #18 mostly... depends on what I'm tying.
    the above quote is pretty good too
    Last edited by Normand; 06-23-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Cold Guest

Thanks, Jeff! I will definitely check them out, and the next time I need hooks, I may be sending them an order.

Steven, while you're not comparing apples & oranges, per se...I would say you're comparing grapefruit and tangerines.

For an imitative wet, by all means, match size, color, etc.

For these attractor wets, size is more personal preference.

oh man, i misread the topic and thought you were asking about winged ants, sorry about that. i will get back under the rug now. i am really sorry Lastchance.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Cold Guest

You mean you're not interested in fishing a #8 ant???

Hi Bruce,

I don't tie many winged wets, but when tying them use #3399s or #3906s. Most of the wet flies I tie are from #10 to #16 or so.

Regards,

Gandolf

3399 a and 3399 from 8 to 18. the 3399a has been the wet fly hook around here for 50 years that i been tying. i have mustad boxs marked 45 cents from jimo fly shop st. clair PA. flyman 3

havent tied many wets in the past forty years, but when i did tie a lot of them i used a 3906. a 3906B is a little longer and was used for nymphs

I mostly dress my wet flies on salmon hooks, size whatever down to size whatever is available. I like the strength of the hooks as well as the black coloration of the hook. The up eye on the salmon hooks causes the water to move over the top of the hooks body, causing the fly pattern to stay beneath the surface of the water without needing weight added.

When I use Wet or Nymph hooks, I change the color of the hooks to black, using a Sharpie Pen, before dressing the pattern.

Most of the time I am fishing warm water, for Crappies, Sunfish, Walleyes, Largemouth Bass, and Smallmouth Bass. I also fish colder trout water when I have the gas money to get there and back home. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread