+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kickboat and sinking line

Hybrid View

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to try a sink tip first and see how I like it.

Blog Entries

I have only used sinking lines for trout but can attest that they work like a hot damn. In a belly boat going real slow, I start with about a #2 sinking line and switch to a #3 or more if its not getting down deep enough. In the boat with my electric motor At 2.1 knots on my knotmeter ( the best speed I have found ) a #4 SA sinking line let out all 90 feet will travel about 16-17 feet deep, perfect for the 18 foot deep lake I always fish. I almost never have a snag.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

For trout: I usually use a 250 gr sink tip (SA Mastery Streamer)line with my 5wt rod. You need some patients. Just make sure you count down and give it the time it needs to get to depth. I kick along in my float tube at an easy comfortable pace, trolling until I find some takers. Fish any points and any place where you can see the drop offs coming up to the shallows. The fish like to sit around there. I'll pull out the full sink in bigger, deeper lakes. I use intermediate lines in the early and late season. Summer...I want something that sinks faster.
    For bass and most othere warm water species, I use an intermediate or floating line, depending in what and where. For walleye, fast sinking or a very long leader and split shot.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I want to thank crazzy for starting this, I got a "free" albright 8wt during a promotion they were having and I got a sinking line to try this very technique on rockfish in a nearby lake, but havent had a chance to try it yet. Great ideas.

+ Reply to Thread