+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front door visitors

Blog Entries

Default Front door visitors

We have some new visitors at our front door. I believe it is a mixed pair of house/gold finches.

You can see a second one coming out of the brown shell just above the left shoulder of the chick that is out. There are 2 colors of eggs, too.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

shhhhhhh! Chicks hatching. That has got to be neat for Y'all. Take care and more pictures as the chicks grow, John.

Blog Entries

Will do. We've been trying to avoid using the front door when possible. The second chick was completely out last night.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

That is sooo coool.................

Bernie

Blog Entries

That is beautiful to the MAX !! very Kewl - Congrats on the new additions to your family!!
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

That's pretty cool. I have doubts about a possible house finch/goldfinch pairing or mating. While they are both finches--they aren't all that closely related. A quick search on such hybrids didn't turn up anything.

Perhaps you are referring to the different egg---for instance perhaps a goldfinch laid an egg in a housefinch nest. Stranger things have happened but the traditional nest parasite here in KS is the cowbird. That oddball egg has all the markings of a cowbird.

Here's a photo of housefinch eggs:

www.scienceviews.com/photo/library/SIA0566.html

btw, that first chick looks a whole lot like a cowbird. Momma house finch has her work cut out for her.
    Last edited by Brad Williamson; 05-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Hi ol' blue,

That happened to us last year. I left the Christmas wreath hung on our front door until February and when I was finally ready to remove it I noticed a nest was in the process of being built. So not to disturb mother nature we came in and out of our house through the garage door. Momma and her babies did just fine and flew off a few weeks later.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

This is the nest of a House Finch [Carpodacus mexicanus]. These birds have a common habit of using wreaths, flower pots and similar objects as nesting sites. I have had them build a nest behing my porch light on the front of my house. The males may have a red head and breast or they may be more orange in color.

Nice images.

The Chronicler
    [Master Federal Bird Bander]

Greg, that's cool! Keep us posted. House finches are fun to have around.

<Right turn>
    Master Federal bander huh? That's pretty neat! I had the chance a few years ago to work at a fall banding station at the university I was attending. It was one of the coolest experiences ever! I'm a huuuuuge bird geek, so getting to handle and see songbirds up close and personal was an incredible treat. I should post some pictures some time!
    <Left turn back to topic>

Zac

+ Reply to Thread