+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage question

Hybrid View

Default Sage question

alright so i am looking at fly rods, like every second i get and havent been able to get to cast them but i have a question my price range is a max of 300 for rod and reel. i am looking at the 2 lower of the line sage because i want a rod made in america. the two rods that i can afford are the sage vantage and the flight. should i even be looking at these rods. are they any were near a top of the line redington or tfo or cortland?

Deon
    Trout bum is an affectionate nickname for dedicated trout anglers, particularly those who practice fly fishing.

Deon:

What type of fishing are you planning on? I have a 6 wt Flight that I use for smallies. It is a casting canon. It has a pretty stiff tip and I would not want to use it to protect a 5x or 6x tippet. For smallies this is not a problem. If you are looking for a lighter weight rod for fine tippets that is made in the USA, I would consider a St Croix. An Avid, for example, is a very nice trout rod with a medium-fast taper that will take good care of finer tippets and would easily fit your price range.

Davjd

for trout on small spring creeks about 20 or so ft wide. i am looking at a 4 wt or maybe 5
    Trout bum is an affectionate nickname for dedicated trout anglers, particularly those who practice fly fishing.

The top end Redington, the CPX series is a fast action rod as is the Sage Flight where as the Sage Vantage is a medium action rod. The Cortland Big Sky rods are also fast action rods. The Vantage is closer to the Redington Classic Trout or Cortland Brook rods. All of these rods are very nice and the Cortland models are really overlooked by many.. The Sage is the only American Made of these.

The Sage Vantage, Cortland Brook, and Redington Classic Trout are ideal small stream trout rods I think. I tend to think of faster action rods like the Flight, CPX, and Big Sky as more big water rods, but that is my preference.

As mentioned, the St. Croix Avid is a very fine American made rod.

for what its worth, I just bought a Sage Launch (now the vantage) on close out 9' 4wt and I really like it from Madison River Fishing Company. They ave some 2 piece 5 wts left.http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4 then search for rods
    I got a 2 piece, would have rather had a 4 piece, but for that price I figured I couldnt go wrong

an 8 1/2 foot 5 wt launch would be an excellent rod for that type of fishing
    Last edited by birddog; 05-05-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread