+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel bugs

Hybrid View

Default Dremel bugs

Can I get a good dremel for under 40$ from lowes or home depot? If so what would you recomend. How would I set this up. Would I need an adjustable chuck so I could put a needle in. I looked up an article or two on here but I still don't totally understand how to set it up and what to get. I like the bugs they make and want to try it but I need help getting set up

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

As I have had Dremels for ages, I have no up-to-date knowledge on prices for new ones. They do not have chucks. They employ what is known as a collet system for holding the tools.My older Dremel came with two or three different size collets, which enables holding needles and larger shafts on their tools. Absent more specific information on what kind of flies you plan to make with them, it is next to impossible to answer your question about "...what to get". I prefer a multiple speed with an A/C motor over the battery powered version. As the A/C motor has brushes in it, you can safely convert a single-speed to a variable speed by powering through a light dimmer switch (rheostat). My multiple speed has only three speeds: Off; Medium; and, High! With a rheostat, my older two speed :On and Off; can be run at any speed between these two speeds. If you are planning on doing balsa and foam bodies with it, the two attachments that I can't live without are the sanding drums and the ball-shaped grinding stone. The latter is used to make the cupped face. It is my understand that Dremel may now offer sanding sleeves for the drums with grit finer than the 120, which has been their finest, and WAAAAY too coarse for bug making. I buy a sheet of 320 grit regular sand paper and cut strips the same width as the sleeve and glue over the grit on the sleeve, using a contact cement. Make an effort to cut the length so the the ends just barely meet when wrapped around the sleeve. You do not want one end to be glued on top of the other. If the ends overlap, and if wraped in the wrong direction, the edge of the end of the sandpapaer can catch and create problems. Life is much simpler if you cut them "just to length".

Dremels work exactly like your favorite dentist's drill. In fact, there are those who have used old dental drills! There is absolutely nothing to setting them up. If you can use an electric drill, you can use a Dremel. The basic unit is all you need for starters.Any of the numerous attachments, router guide, extended flex-cable, etc., can be added later as the need arises

Why do you want to use needles in a Dremel? If it is to facilitate attaching rubber legs, you simply PUSH the needle through the body. I have used extremely fine wire bits in my Dremel to drill holes through the bodies of some of my balsa bodies to facilitate getting rubber legs through the body. I suspect that this is what you have in mind, if so, get the appropriately sized wire bits; available at any good hardware store.There is an advantage to pre-drilling the holes for rubber legs in balsa. The rubber legs can rot in very little time if they are left in your vehicle during the summer. If this happens, it is a very simple matter to pull the old ones out and put new ones on in exactly the same place. (I have four before me as I type this that are "in-the-shop" for new legs. Now you know how I know about what leaving in a vehicle during the summer can do to them!)( Idon't care how old you are or how much you know, sooner or later you are going to screw up when you should have know better! TRUST ME!)

Cheers,
    frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 03-07-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks. I am looking at making smaller popping bugs and jelly beans for bluegill and other panfish. I dont think the car will be a problem because i am only a freshmen in highschool and taking drivers training in june. Anything left in the car could get me in a little trouble with my mom.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you only purchase a Dremel with a variable speed motor. My first experience with making Dremel bugs almost cost me my thumbnail because I accidently turned the Dremel on at 25,000 RPM and the needle immediately bent at right angles to the collet and smacked me on the thumbnail. I can still see the sparkles in my eyes when I remember that episode Anyway, get a variable speed Dremel and only use the very heavy duty upholstery needles as the lighter needles will bend or break. Also, you can purchase a chuck for it as an aftermarket item which makes it much more versatile.

Good luck and please do not hesitate to post photos of your creations.

Jim Smith
    Jim Smith

Sage

I think these are the dremel bugs that Paul is talking about...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...082205fotw.php

Brad

yea that is the article that i read. Are there good dremels available at home depo, lowes, or ace hardware. I found 2 that look good to me. One has 15000-35000 rpm and the other is about 20$ more and goes from 5000-35000 rpm. Which one would work better for making bodies?
    Last edited by cdpaul; 03-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

Cdpaul, If you want a cheap rotary tool, START at Harbor freight. Really no need to go anywhere else unless you want a name brand tool.

This one is ONLY $4.95 with 30 piece accessories. Doesn't get any cheaper that that.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94076

The red on here for $29, was only sale for $19 a few weeks ago.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...CategoryID=111

I have a Black & Decker Wizard and used it to crank out the bodies I posted here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...t-foam-poppers

My Wizard came with two sizes of collets and the smallest holds a toothpick nicely. Poke a piece of foam on the toothpick, turn on the rotary tool, and use emery boards to shape, after doing a couple bodies a breaking several toothpicks you'll get the hang of it and can turn a body in a minute or less.

would wallmart, lowes, home depot, or k mart have the wizard

Bass_Bug Guest

I've seen the Wizard at Wal-Mart recently, if the Lowe's or Home Depot don't carry B&D products, they might have another brand cheaper them Dremel. Not saying Dremel is a bad product just one of the most expensive. If you just want to play around with turning foam, go for cheap, and upgrade later if you feel you need to. I would check all the discount/closeout stores (Odd Lots/Big Lots etc) as well if there are any in the area.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

kaboom1:

Ahhh-so. You use the needle as a mandrel! I saw this article when it was first published, but had forgotten all about it! As I shape my bodies after the 'blank" is mounted on the hook I have no need for a turning mandrel. I cut balsa body blanks using brass tubing in my drill press, which has a 1/2 inch chuck. There is a little trick for making balsa bodies this way. You cut your block of balsa 1/8 inch longer than you want the bodies to be, and set your drill press to stop the tube 1/8 inch shy of going all the way through the balsa (Always cut "with the grain"; NOT across). When you raise the tube to cut the next body, the first remains in the block itself; not in the tube. After you have drilled as many as you can in the block, you take the block to a bandsaw and cut the bottom 1/8 inch off. The "drilled" body blanks will all fall out, neat as you please! I do not put holes down through the center of any of the bodies I make to accept hooks. I cut a slit in the bottom of every one for mounting to hooks. With a belt sander, a brief light touch of the body against the belt will produce a nice little flat spot along one side for cutting the hook slit into, and a very brief touch of the flat side to the bandsaw blade cuts the slit. BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL CUTTING THE SLIT. ELIMINATE ALL POSSIBLE DISTRACTIONS BEFORE DOING THIS! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING! TAKE YOUR TIME; NOT YOUR FINGERS!

Frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 03-08-2010 at 03:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread