+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana Trip Recommendations

Default Montana Trip Recommendations

I am looking for a suggestion for a real nice lodge to stay at and enjoy some fly fishing and sight seeing. Since the wife will be along the lodge has to meet her desires. Accommodations and dining are obviously at the top of her list.

I have looked through the Orvis endorsed lodges an which all seem nice but I am sure there are others out there that are as nice if not better.

We would appreciate any ideas.

Where do you want to go? I probably can give you some ideas if I know where you want to go and when.

What are your wife's desires?

I'm a big fan of Madison Valley Outfitters in Ennis.

Closest I come to a lodge when I'm in Montana is camping out of my father-in-law's pickup truck, so I'm no expert, but I hear that Chico Hot Springs is a very nice place to stay. Not geared specifically for the fisherman, though, but you're right on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley, so how bad could that be?

Regards,
    Scott

I strongly encourage you to not limit yourself to Orvis-endorsed lodges/outfitters. A dirty little not-so secret is that the primary way of gaining an Orvis endorsement is by spending $$$. The nearest endorsed lodge to Gardiner is known to have nice amenities and has a lake that's stuffed full of big stocked trout, but most of the guides are short-term residents who can't row very well, and they usually pull off the river around an hour ahead of anybody else.

I'd second Chico. Very high-end restaurant, lots of spa-type stuff plus horseback riding, etc. to keep your wife busy, and you're within 35 minutes of 60 miles of the Yellowstone, several good creeks, no more than 1.5 hours from anything in the northern part of Yellowstone Park (both fishing and tourist-related), and no more than 35 minutes from six good fly shops (including mine). If guided trips are in the works, most shops will send guides to meet you close to or at Chico, so your wife can keep the car.

If the Yellowstone area is your choice then you cannot go wrong by booking a room at Chico Hot Springs. While the Inn is not 'on the Yellowstone' but it is only a short drive away. The restaurant is world class, and the accomodations are top rate. There are lots of activities for the family; the hot pools, horse back riding, touring Yellowstone National Park. As an angler you are in the heart of the best trout fishing in North America with world famous rivers and spring creeks within a short drive.

I have known the owners of Chico Hot Springs for over 30 years and they have developed a world class destination location. You can't go wrong with Chico Hot Springs.

The Chronicler

+ Reply to Thread