Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
The first time you mess up a grip thats been already glued to the rod blank...you'll wish you hadnt done it after that.
I'm with Sully. This is my biggest fear of turning your handle on the blank. Not to mention the added risk and stress you expose the blank to. If one is confident in turning a handle on the blank, thats great! I myself don't have the cajones to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
How do you release the handle from whatever mandrel you're using, especially the threaded rods?

Kelly.
To release you just need to remove the nuts and washers, grip the cork and turn on the drill, and it un threads right off the threaded rod.....at least using Pliobond. Don't think I'd try this with epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by bazakwardz View Post
The area where the mandrel is bent will not be on the same axis.
It's not like I'm using reclaimed re-bar. my threaded rod when rolled across a flat surface shows no sign of deformation. Take a look at the two supports on either side of the handle. <http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/bb/blog.php?b=216 >.
They both can be pushed in until they are against the lock nuts. I drilled them with a 1/4 bit in the mounted drill and moved the supports into the turning bit. Doesn't get any more centered than that. I'm not saying I have the best setup, but the rod lines up with all the holes and turns as smooth as a lathe. Like any rough shape stock you put on any lathe, the material being off balance will wobble until turned down to a true clyinder. Cork just trues up much quicker.