+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leader Swap - Critique on Mine?

Hybrid View

Default Furled Leader Swap - Critique on Mine?

Hello,
    I would like some honest feedback on the furled leader I did for the swap. I knew most people would be using better material.....and my friend prefers the one I did for the swap.....so I decided to just do it for the swap. Simple cheap thread from Wal-Mart. But I had not fished with it, nor ever treated one to float.

Soooooo....did my dark green treated furled leaders work? How well? Did they float like they were supposed to? Did they float all day with the casting throwing the water off....or did they begin to sink soon? Did the tip end start sinking soon....or did they last pretty good? Was it furled tight enough?...etc....

Really would like some honest critique of that leader....just so I know more about it.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Gemrod
    I haven't had a chance to try your leader yet but it looks OK. I'll ask the same questions about mine. ( Digger's Den Leaders) What does every one think of them????

Have not had a chance to do any fishing for about 2 months now, but when I do I will let you know..............FF

I tried one of the swap leaders yesterday. Got in a real mess....but it was not due to the leader. I was goofing around with a 16' crappie rod from Bass Pro and a single handed fly line. That rod needs a spey line. Of course the rod was not even designed for fly casting. For $23 from Bass Pro....with "some" guides and a reel seat just about where a spey reel seat would be.....I decided to play with it. Little bit of wine....ooooops...I wish.....little bit of wind, wrong rod, wrong line.....not making any judgements on that leader yet. Wasn't at all a fair test. I can say this much....it was a very well done leader. I did find out I much prefer a tippet ring. My tiny diameter fluorocarbon tippet dug into the threaded loop (thread furled leader) such that I could not remove it. Even after snipping it off.....it was so embedded I could not remove it. No biggie, it doesn't even show.....only "I" know that it is there. But I think I will prefer tippet rings instead of the shorbs loop on the tippet end.

Jim

Gemrod went fishing today with the son in-law and guess what he used. You got it, your furled leader. The only thing he did not like was the length. He wished it was a foot shorter. Did it float heck yes. We were on the river for about 5 hours fishing some nasty fast water and it held up just fine and stayed on top. He is taking it back home with him to washington and says I have to keep this I haven't tried it on the little D yet. He asked if I knew how you made them so I could make him a bunch more. I think he was on satisfied customer LOL

FISHN50 I used yours today. We were fishing a river with browns, bows and steelhead. I used a 6 weight and loved the leader. What did you make them out of. I even got a hit off a steelhead and it held up. The tippet of course broke but heck I expected that.

Both of you gentlemen have nothing to worry about on your leaders they are awesome.

Thank's Bob
    I made them out of Cortland Camo Mono 2# test. I appreciate the feedback.

+ Reply to Thread