+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Rod... which size?

Hybrid View

Default Bass Rod... which size?

Changing this post:

*****************I DON'T WANT A 9-FOOT ROD!! Let's get that out of the way first.*************************** Heck I don't even want an 8.5-foot rod!!

I want a 7.5-8 foot rod specifically-designed for bass fishing. Especially in and around trees and branches.

I'm wondering if I want the 6 or 8 weight(as that is the sizes these seem to come in). I'm looking for advice from people that have had these S H O R T E R bass fly rods.

Right now it is between the Redington Predator and the Ross Fly Stick.

PLEASE.......................... I don't want to know about 9-foot rods!! Been there, done that. Got the hung up flies to prove it!

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 11-18-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Okay, fair is fair. Now I'm changing my response.
    Go to http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

There you will find a Dogwood Canyon rod. I've got one. I use it under the cypress. It's a 7'6" 5 wt. I overline it with 6wt.
    It's not going to cast 70' easily, but you probably won't be doing that anyway.

Oh, and it's $55.
    Last edited by CoachBob; 11-18-2009 at 02:34 PM.

BBW,

Even big bass don't pull all that hard...you can land them easily with most fly rods..but the flies and the cover involved often dictate heavier rods...

A 6 wt. is about perfect for an 'all around' bass rod..you can upline to handle bigger bugs (sometims it's fun to pitch those 3/0 and 4/0 topwaters) and they make fast sinking lines for 6 wts. that you can't get in smaller sizes.

My battery of bass rods includes rods from 3 to 10, but I use the five six weights I have the most.

Now, if most of your fishing will be in heavy grass or there is lots of wood cover where you are, then an 8 or even a 9 might work better for you.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

A 6wt rod would be a good choice as well as a 7 or 8wt.It really depends on the size of the flies and poppers you intend on using.A 7wt would be a good all around stick for your needs.I differ from Coach Bob though in that I dont like rods longer than 9ft and for bass,a shorter rod has many advantages.Shorter rods are more accurate for casting bugs next to cover or in open spots in lily pads.A short rod is better for pulling fish out of the cover or keeping one from getting in there.Long levers give the fish the advantage.Look at flyfishingforum.com for a review of the Remington Predator rods and flyfishohio.com for a review of the Sage,Scott and St Croix bass rods.For the money it sounds like the Remington might be your best bet.I like my 8'8" 6wt Scott Heliply for bass and its good for stripers too.

I'm more prone to a 7wt. It can handle a good sized fish plus handles a large wooly bugger just right.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by SkipS View Post
    A 6wt rod would be a good choice as well as a 7 or 8wt.It really depends on the size of the flies and poppers you intend on using.A 7wt would be a good all around stick for your needs.I differ from Coach Bob though in that I dont like rods longer than 9ft and for bass,a shorter rod has many advantages.Shorter rods are more accurate for casting bugs next to cover or in open spots in lily pads.A short rod is better for pulling fish out of the cover or keeping one from getting in there.Long levers give the fish the advantage.Look at flyfishingforum.com for a review of the Remington Predator rods and flyfishohio.com for a review of the Sage,Scott and St Croix bass rods.For the money it sounds like the Remington might be your best bet.I like my 8'8" 6wt Scott Heliply for bass and its good for stripers too.
    That's what I'm talkin about. Thanks

Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Bass_Rod_Review.htm

I have always used a 7wt for bass fishing but I won't say a 6wt isn't enough. Like stated here, it depends on the size of the fly but you can handle big flies with the 6wt, I use the bass line from sci anglers and it helped with those big bulky deer hair poppers, you can also throw foam poppers which work pretty much the same.
    I have also used a 5wt with smaller flies and still have caught descent bass but (sorry I forgot this part) I fished in AZ where there isn't a lot of wind.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 11-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

My two primary bass rods are a 9' 6wt and an 8'8" 8wt. The 6 is good for smallies (I toss allot of #6 Clousers) and not much wind. The 8wt gets uncased when the wind picks up and or I want to throw bigger flys. I've also used it for Pike.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Albright works great. May be faster than you are used to, but no complaints here. Very cheap at the current sale. www.albrightflyfish.com
    BassPro White river rods also okay but in the $125 range.
    Reddington is also acceptable for about 3/4 that price or get it with a reel at basspro for $130.

I would stick with the albright. The GP 9'6" 7/8 will cast about anything you can imagine in both fresh and salt. A bit too light for tarpon, but fine for reds and snook. If you've not dealt with a long rod, it will feel different, but for big bugs with kite-like wind resistance, you'll love it.
    Wo wo wo. I'm talkin about a short rod. Like around 8ft

I just bought an Albright A-5 4wt. It's waaaaay too long for what I want. Actually for trout fishing I like an 8.5-foot rod. I've got a 9-foot 6wt Redington already.
    I'm talking about working around tree branches and the like. Need one of those new short things..................I think.

Been bassin' for a while with the longer rods and they tend to get in the way.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 11-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

CoachBob;329047]BassPro White river rods also okay but in the $125 range.
    $125???? for the 4pc classic travel rods maybe. The BP White River Dogwood canyon rods are only $55. Only $89 for a complete outfit loaded up and and ready to go. A very good bass rod for the money.

My first fly rod was a Bass Pro White River/Dogwood Canyon 8'6" 8wt (w/ removable fighting butt) about 10 years ago. It will cast the largest bass bugs with little effort. I don't think BP makes the 8wt in a 8'6" anymore. Just a 9' 8wt.

I also use a 8'6" 6wt (home built) for smaller bugs/poppers and streamers.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 11-18-2009 at 09:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread