+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to take tomorrow

Default What to take tomorrow

Ok getting to go fishing on a Monday (a uncommon work day excursion) going to a cooler fresh water lake for rock bass, blue gills, and large mouth. Anyone have any suggestions for flies for me the weather is suspost to be overcast and in the upper eighties.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

Anything with beadchain eyes and/or rubber legs is a good start! haha
    My go-to fly is a orange bead head leech (which has neither of the two items listed above, ironically). Crappie Candys work if they're eating minnows, damsel nymph immitations are a winner more often than not. Chartreuse anything will generally get a nibble. Foam beetles and hoppers, and good ol' trout flies do it too!

If you're just looking to tie up a few, I'd say a good leech pattern, a bluegill bully, crappie candy, and a popper/foam fly would be a good assortment to start with!

Lately, my favorite pattern has been a size 10 scud hook with a couple turns of brown chenille and a partridge collar. Variations being a short floss tail, and some copper wire rib. Simple, and it'll catch fish!

3 Day, You and I are about the only one on BB who know that quotation from "River Run..."

As to what flies to take, wooly bugger catch about everything I know of, they require a little more work to fish; I use a bream killer under a popping bug or foam grasshoppers in warm water, a Mykka minnow or something similar under a bug is also good.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hi Threeday,

I would also take a few nymphs, such as pheasant tails or gold ribbed hare's ears. Joe Hyde likes the gold ribbed hare's ear flash back.

Either of those flies are great choices.

Regards,

Grandolf

+ Reply to Thread