+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California Fishing Regulations

Default California Fishing Regulations

Someone asked me about the regulations for 2 rods here in California and I couldn't find a straight answer. You need a stamp to fish a second rod, that is clear. You cannot fish a second rod at all if the waters are artificial fly only. Now, does this mean that you can only have one rod with you? What if you have a second rod with you? Example: You are fishing your trusty 4 weight for dries and nymphs, but you lug around your 6 weight to strip a streamer. You are by yourself and you can only fish one rod at a time obviously. Is this scenario a violation, or would it only be a violation if you actively had both lines in the water?

Any experts out there?

Question 2 rods in CA

Paul, The 08-09 CA reg book only says this: "Second Rod Stamp (Valid in inland waters, except for waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. $12.10"
    I would think if you carried a second rod on those waters you will be cited. Hope to see you in the mountains on the 25th. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Yeah, Jim, I'm just not sure. Carrying a rod and fishing a rod are two very different things - I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Good questions. I think if you are fishing with 2 rods at the same time -- like trolling with 2 rods from the boat -- or you have two rods and are fishing from the bank and are all by yourself, it would apply.

However, if you carry two rods, only fish with one at a time, I would argue that it does not apply (sometimes I'll carry both a spey rod and a single handed rod -- or a 4 wt and a 6wt --but only fish with one of them at a time). Hell, maybe Joan Wulff can cast with two rods at the same time but I can't. Otherwise, they could site you for just driving up to the beach or boat launch, etc. with maybe 4 rods in your car/possession but not using them.

I'm with Orthoman on this. I'm fairly certain it's rods in the water. You can have access to several rods and not be fishing them. You see bass and saltwater fishermen with about ten rods on boats with a different set up on each one. That's my understanding anyways.

Beaver

Page 5 of the 2009 sport fishing regulations booklet for California has the following definition:

"A Second-Rod Stamp is required to fish with two rods in inland waters in any sport fishery in which the regulations of the Commission provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used."

You may carry as many rods as you wish. I usually carry at least two rods fully rigged for most of my fishing. Wardens have never given me a second look. I have seen people with two lines soaking get cited for not having the stamp. The 2nd rod stamp is pretty popular here with anglers fishing for catfish.

As stated, in waters designated for artificials only, a 2nd rod may not be used at the same time.

In saltwater, the 2nd rod restriction does not apply, but all rods in use must be closely attended.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 04-14-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Paul, I talked to someone in the know (CADFG) who says you can have the rods with you as long as there is only one line in the water at a time. Fish on dude. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Hey thanks for everyone's 2 cents here. Jim, I sent an email to F&G and this is their response:

Paul: You are correct. As long as only one line is in the water at a time you may possess as many lines/rods as you want.

Warden Lorraine Doyle

+ Reply to Thread