+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustad renumbering of hooks question

Default Mustad renumbering of hooks question

Since Mustad has changed the numbers on their hooks, does anyone know if they have published a list of some sort indicating which of the new numbers will correspond to the old hooks or are the hooks themselves completely changed too?

I hit a problem today when checking an old pattern and found that the hook in the pattern did not match up with descriptions in Mustad's new hook listings. It used to be that if I did not have a mustad hook I at least could find a substitute hook by another manufacturer.

What corresponds with the old 3906B ?

Under mustad listing it is s80 3906 .3xh/std

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerri View Post
    What corresponds with the old 3906B ?
    please go to post #60 of the following thread and make a copy of the hook chart dr fish provided

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...t=25511&page=6

the S82 is the replacement for the 3906b. See the chart link above for a full listing. If you get some please let me know if the S82 is the same size as the 3906b. I'm trying to get confirmation before I order some.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Blog Entries

At the moment at least, it looks like they are putting the old # and the new one on the packaging. I.e., their std dry fly hook is R50-94840. If you've been using signature series hooks in the last couple years the new numbers (in this case "R50") should already be somewhat familiar to you.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Exclamation Mustad Answers

This is confusing, but I'll do my best.

1. The Mustad 'classic' hooks are still available. We sell them evey day and Mustad has plenty in their warehouse. They're not in our catalog, but still on our website.

2. They are not planning on manufacturing these any more -- except in some models, a couple that come to mind that are not scheduled to change/convert are the 37160, 9174, 36890, 33903, 92158 and 37187. (I'm sure there are others, just not sure what they are.)

3. The Signature series are 'chemically' sharpened rather than physically sharpened and will have a sharper point.

4. Of the ones replaced, they will now have the Signature designations, as some of you have noted. It is true that the 94840 will now be the R50-94840.

5. IT IS NOT TRUE THAT THE OLD AND NEW WILL BE THE EXACT SAME!!! In other words, a 94840 and an R50-94840 may NOT be 'necessarily' identical in proportion. That's right, Mustad has 'tweaked' some of the new ones to make the proportions 'correct' (correct is their word, not mine).

6. I do not have a list of which hooks were tweaked and don't think there is a list available.

I hope all of you are now as confused as I was!!!!!!!!

Ron

Blog Entries

I don't think it matters if they are exactly the same as the old style. Just look at the chart and pick a hook. A long time ago I got tired of buying hooks just because they were in some fly recipe. How many shapes of hooks do you really need? For trout, about six.

Greg

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    6. I do not have a list of which hooks were tweaked and don't think there is a list available.
    please go to post #60 of the following thread and make a copy of the hook chart dr fish provided

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...t=25511&page=6

Frustrating, ain't it. I suggest that that post #60 be made into a sticky.

+ Reply to Thread