+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tadpole Rod Swap Part 2...The Build

That looks like a pretty good facsimile of it....

Ecowrapper

Default missing hookkeepers?

Brad, I don't like the sound of that. Need me to send some out?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    Brad, I don't like the sound of that. Need me to send some out?

Ron
    My fault Ron. Dropped one when I was sorting them. I have it on the bench. Will mail it to the person missing theirs when they let me know

Brad

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hey Brad......Rec'd my stuff yesterday......All is in A-1 shape..... no missing hook keeper.
    Thanks. I'll start building next week................ModocDan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Hey Jim

Is this what an Ecowrapper looks like?

I built this one after seeing them at the MIchigan show a couple of years ago.

Brad
    That's the one. I bought it because I am slowly learning that my lack of a woodworking shop means that building things from scratch is seldom worth it for me. By the time I trek back and forth to the neighbors to use his shop to build something I could have the item here and be completing the real projects. Neighbor and I are building a rough beveler now using our own design ideas plus borrowing a couple design features we saw on that beveler at the Mason show. That beveler costs $625 delivered. By the time I bought a router, three fluted bit, UHMW for the roughing form, and all the other parts and pieces, I had over $300 into the project. Then add the HOURS we have spent dinking with it trying to make it "perfect" (we still are not finished), and I can honestly say that the smartest thing I could have done was just bought the stupid beveler. I would have had several blanks tapered by now! As it stands the winter is almost over and I have no blanks to show for it. Life lesson - I need to do a better job of picking my battles!

So after that experience, the extra $100 it probably cost me to have someone else build this wrapper was well worth it to me.

Got mine this morning. ~ 3500 miles in a little over 3 days and in perfect shape.

Thanks Brad,

Erik

I have no problem extending the completion date as it's Tax Season - my busy time.

Default I like this wrapper

The EcoWrapper is the only one I've ever used -- the best parts of Clyde's design, in my opinion, it how the tensioners work and the braking system. This all makes it easier to wrap nice trims and inlays and hold the rod in place "mid wrap" to pet the dog, answer the phone, get a snack, etc. Other than this, I always build my rods in my hands, without a wrapping tool.

Ron
    Last edited by hackleman57; 02-07-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Hit return before complete

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flamming View Post
    That's the one. I bought it because I am slowly learning that my lack of a woodworking shop means that building things from scratch is seldom worth it for me. By the time I trek back and forth to the neighbors to use his shop to build something I could have the item here and be completing the real projects. Neighbor and I are building a rough beveler now using our own design ideas plus borrowing a couple design features we saw on that beveler at the Mason show. That beveler costs $625 delivered. By the time I bought a router, three fluted bit, UHMW for the roughing form, and all the other parts and pieces, I had over $300 into the project. Then add the HOURS we have spent dinking with it trying to make it "perfect" (we still are not finished), and I can honestly say that the smartest thing I could have done was just bought the stupid beveler. I would have had several blanks tapered by now! As it stands the winter is almost over and I have no blanks to show for it. Life lesson - I need to do a better job of picking my battles!

So after that experience, the extra $100 it probably cost me to have someone else build this wrapper was well worth it to me.
    About $15.00 worth of materials, an afternoon in the shop, cool rod wrapper...priceless...at least for me.

I do understand where you ar coming from on the beveler. I have been working on a rough beveler off and on for 2 years. I think it is going to make a great pile of kindling...

Brad

Default Question about the spigot ferrule?

Would it be better to used a solid piece of glass for the ferrule or a hollow piece? I have both, I was just wondering what some more experienced people thought before I started cutting the ferrule.

Blog Entries

If you are talking spigot ferrule, I'd personally use the solid. I just think you're better off using the stronger option.
    I bought an ice rod blank to use as a ferrule, and it is solid glass and cost $2 or so. The only down side is that is painted, and I think I'll feel better stripping off the paint before bonding and fitting it. Denatured alcohol seems to be a good de-painter, though.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread