+ Reply to Thread

Thread: olympus 790SW or 850SW underwater pics

Hybrid View

Default olympus 790SW or 850SW underwater pics

I have seen some amazing underwater shots from the Olympus 790 and 850 on FAOL. I have the 850 but am having trouble getting clear pics underwater. For those of you have have used this feature, what setting are you using? Any tips or advice you can pass along. Mine always come out blurry. I believe I am using the Underwater macro setting, but they come out bad.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Glenn

Thumbs up 850 Sw

Glenn -

I've tried three of the four underwater modes on the 850SW. The only one that has worked reasonably well for me is the "Underwater Wide2" mode.

I tried two of the other three modes and couldn't get a pic worth saving. Haven't tried the "Underwater Macro" and most likely won't ??

One thing I found taking pics of hooked fish - it has worked well with all the species of trout around here - is to play the fish a bit longer than usual and then kneel very quietly in the water when you get them fairly close in. I've been able to grasp the tippet a foot or two above the fly / fish and lead them around slowly into position for a pic. Not sure why they act so calmly, almost docile, in that situation, because when they are released it is obvious that they are not worn down ??

John
    The fish are always right.

I have taken quite a number of underwater photos with mine, but I must admit that I don't chooses any specific settings. What I have found helpful is to tilt the camera around underwater to get rid of water bubbles that forms on the lens when you first submerged it before you take the photo. Out of dozens of photos that I take maybe one would be useable.

Blog Entries

Change ISO to 100 or even 64 in really bright light...

Much better picture.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

JohnScott
    " Haven't tried the "Underwater Macro" and most likely won't ??"

I have taken a number of nymph shots in the underwater macro mode that are startlingly good photos and I expected nothing special...
    art

Thumbs up

Loved you Pictures Morneb. Yours too John. What a great sport we have.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Default Olympus 1030

Ive tried the action mode since most of my fish are crazy steelhead, and have got one or 2 ok photos.. But just got the camera a week ago so Im still learning with it...

Default Taken from an 850 down in baja this summer

Default and with the 1030SW in action mode

I have the 790SW and like others, about 1 out of 10 underwater pictures turn out the way I would like them. I think whils snorkeling or swimming they would be much better. One of the problems is sticking the camera under water and trying to guess when the fish or other subject is in the frame and when to time the shutter release. Most of my underwater shots are more or less guesswork.

Here's one of the ones that I think turned out pretty good. It was taken at Big Spring in Idaho right outside of West Yellowstone.

+ Reply to Thread