+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to fly tying

Smile New to fly tying

I've been fly fishing for 2 years now and thinking of taking it to the next level. It seems to me that catching trout with a fly I tied would be the best of the best. My question is, are there any tool kits on the market that are better than others, price is a concern, for beginners? I don't have any tools or materials.
    Thanks
    PS: I'm 69 years young

Smile

I would suggest that you contact a local club for some lessons this winter or otherwise locate a nearby tyer to provide detailed advice and mentoring, Here in central CT there are several Trout Unlimited chapters that sponsor lessons and let you try different vises etc.
    Good luck

3. Default tying

Look on the home page menu & it'll direct you to tying, tools & tech stuff. S'kinda like ridin' a motor cycle, ya gotta take it out & play with it! Don't worry about getting it perfect as those in the fly shops. Those are meant to catch fishermen (& women), as well as fish.

You're right, it is satisfying to catch a fish on a lure that you made yourself. Don't limit yourself to salmonoids. Bass, bluegill, carp, crappie & several other species will sucumb to the fly.

It's OK to be your age. I'm 60+ myself. Go get em!

Like Ray pointed out there’s nothing like having someone show you the ropes. However, I know that’s not always an option so here are a few tips from someone who just started tying two years ago.

I’m too impatient so I never took formal lessons. I asked the local shop manager to show me a single pattern that I used a lot and I started from there. I used online resources and the book referenced below to get me started. Plus I’ll go back to the shop from time to time and they’ll show me another pattern I’m interested in. That said, I still recommend having someone get you started.

Here’s a link that should help you get started. http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ It explains the basic tools and techniques for getting started. If you start as I suggest below you can buy only the tools necessary to tie your fist one or two patterns then add-on from there. Most kits seem to have only fair equipment so I elected to buy items individually as I needed them. Plus you can look for sales or used items.

Here’s a book that I found to be a great help. http://www.amazon.com/Benchside-Intr...d_bxgy_b_img_b It’s unique structure allows you to have the overall tying instructions for a fly present while looking up specific techniques necessary to complete the fly. Even if you have someone showing you the basics this book is a great reference. Other than this book I use other tyers and online resources as a reference. For instance go to YouTube and enter something like “tying a Wooly Bugger”. There are plenty of other online sources for patterns and instructions.

As someone who’s always looking to control expenses I would suggest you start by buying materials for one or two flies that you use and lose the most. Then slowly build up from those materials one pattern at a time. You’ll find certain common materials for many of your patterns. I can’t see spending money on certain expensive materials that I’ll rarely use so I just buy those flies or find a cheaper material as a substitute. I haven’t reached the “I only fish what I’ve tied” stage yet.

Tying is relaxing and increases your enjoyment of fishing. Good luck!
    Last edited by gzacckey; 11-14-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Mr Donat
    It seems that we are neighbors !
    I belong to a club that meets in East Hartford
    Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association,
    They have beginner tying classes that start sometime after the holidays.
    If that doesn't work for you, I might be able to help you out a bit myself
    I'm no expert though
    At the very least I have book that you may have
    Tying Trout Flies by C. Boyd Pfeiffer
    If you want to PM me your address I can send it to you or even drop it off.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Donat-

You've gotten great advice about joining a club and taking classes- you'll learn a ton and it'll really help your learning curve. You'll also get a chance to try out different tools and equipment, like vises. Classes are typically organized to teach a dozen or so patterns over the length of the course, each one builds on the one before and you end up learning a lot of different techniques that will allow you tie a whole host of patterns in addition to the ones you learn in class.

Kits are very tempting because it looks like you get a bunch of stuff for not much money.... the reality is that you'll probably end up with a lot of materials you won't use and not enough of the ones you need. And usually the kits come with tools and a vise that are inexpensive imports that are poorly machined, have soft jaws that don't hold hooks well etc. I think most folks would agree that you're better off investing in a decent vise and a few tools to get started, and materials for one or two easy patterns at a time that you can use on your waters. That way you'll have tools that will last a lifetime, and you'll build up an inventory of useful materials for the waters you fish. If there is a reasonable chance that you think you'd enjoy tying and will stick with it, you'll likely want to upgrade everything in the kit soon anyway.

Rather than buy a vise now, ideally you should try a few and get a sense of the different features on different ones. The opportunity to get some mentoring help from Dudley and his club sounds like a great opportunity. You should be able to arrange for a loaner if you take a class. A lot of the lingo, terms, what materials are good for what purposes, and pros cons of different equipment can be overwhelming when getting started and having access to folks that can steer you through the maze of info will really demystify everything. And as everyone has pointed out there's a ton of info on beginning tying here on FAOL (click on the fly tying link on the main page).

Just as a ball park you'd probably be looking at 80-150 for a solid vise (Danvise for 80, Anvil Apex 100, Renzetti Traveller, Regal C-clamp or Peak Rotary for 150ish are a few good options, each with their band of loyal users on this board) and 35 or so for decent quality tools (scissors, bobbin, bodkin, whip finisher, hair stacker, hackle pliers). Once you start to zero in on brands and models, you may find used models for a good discount off retail. As you buy materials for one or two patterns at a time you'll be a building up an inventory that can last years, but it will be stuff that you'll actually use for your local fishing as opposed to small amounts of all kinds of different bits and pieces of stuff in a kit.

Hope this helps.

peregrines

Besides the great info on this site, you might find these links helpful:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/tyingmenu.php

http://kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

http://learnflytying.co.uk/

http://hipwader.com/2004/fly-tying-course

http://www.theweeklyfly.com/

Those ought to get you started. I really like the video presentations since I tend to "get it" better when I can see it done. By the way, YouTube also has some nice info if you search for a specific fly.

Donat,

When I started tying I got things one at a time bought a bobbin, a nurse gave me a pair of scissors from a stitch kit along with forceps. I then used things around the house pins, copper tube et al.

I then saw one day a kit by DR. SLICK CO. it had everything I needed and when I priced them separately there was a savings buying the kit. (kit had better scissors, hair stacker, whip finisher, a good bobbin, hackle pliers, bodkin, and some of the tools have a hole in the bottom of the handle for half hitches. all in a nice box) And I will recommend this kit and tools.

Two things I did notice when I started to make purchases was, how is this cheaper than buying flies (my first wooly bugger coast me around $175.00 to make) The second thing I noticed as I was typing this I couldn?t tell you what I paid for the kit my vise and I don?t regret buying any of them and the joy tying gives me is priceless.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    Two things I did notice when I started to make purchases was, how is this cheaper than buying flies (my first wooly bugger coast me around $175.00 to make) The second thing I noticed as I was typing this I couldn?t tell you what I paid for the kit my vise and I don?t regret buying any of them and the joy tying gives me is priceless.
    Nice way to justify your Jones!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Donat;

This is just my experience. I was fortunate in being able to take tying classes. I would highly recommend that approach.
    You can spend alot of money before you realize that you won't need a lot of that stuff for years to come, or end up with lifetime supplies of materials.
    The other advantage is, there is nothing like hands on help, and actually working with you to get certain processes right.
    Another perc is that you get to meet some good people that have same interests ( and fishing partners too)
    I have always found it easier when showed how
    Just my .02
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread