+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Warentee? Did I do the right thing?

Default Rod Warentee? Did I do the right thing?

Bought a TFO Signature 6 wt. late in July or early August, registered it.

Went out last week with rod and the grip is crumbling...all the fill is popping out..this won't go another season as it stands.

Realizing it is "only" a $100 rod I "should expect this" BUT I did not.

Just emailed TFO area sales rep and asked if a trade up to the pro model done through my local fly shop for the $25.00 warentee "fee" would be possible.

Thoughts?

I Think this would be appropriate as the grip is obviously very flawed and and why should I pay 25 + postage only to get another product that is probably not to my expectations which were pretty reasonable in my opinon.

BTW, love the action of this rod, the blank is great BUT with this grip, it won't last another season.

Cool Call

TFO in Dallas and tell them your situation. The grip should not be crumbling and they will darn well want to know about it. They will also replace the rod, without any charge. This is a manufacturing defect, not your fault. If you want, tell them I told you to call. Ask for Rick Pope, he is the owner and a terrific guy.

brhoff,

Take LadyFisher's advice and call TFO. Rick Pope is a great guy (I've talked to him a few times) and see what he says. If worse comes to worse shoot me a PM and we can discuss options as I'm in the Dallas area.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Moffitt; 11-09-2008 at 01:29 AM.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Great input so far.

Brian, that makes sense, I was wondering about the cork being basically the same and agree that it will probably be so.

My point is, why should I spend 25.00 to get what I just paid for back? Seems reasonable that I could at the very least pay the 25.00 and get the "better" model...not looking to take advantage but really, I have used lesser priced rods for WAY longer and have not had this problem...

I am hoping my local shop will support what I intend as well as they told me "they wouldn't carry the rod if it wasn't good"...I agree, the rod is good but if no longer functional after 1/4 of a season....???

Bought a low end rod, no doubt...BUT STILL...

The warranty was designed to make you whole again. To ask for an upgrade at a discount is beyond the scope of the warranty. I could see a potential issue for TFO agreeing to do so. Others with questionable intention could take advantage of TFO generousity and profit so to speak from it.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

They will stand behind it. Make the call - it is a defect for sure.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

What LadyFisher and TyroneFly said. You should only expect to get the rod (piece) you have replaced, not an upgrade. If that was the way everyone did business ...they would all be broke.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Tyrone, point taken, in reality, I don't think there is any advantage to the Pro model any how..it appears to be the same rod just in a multi piece configuration.

Just checked the receipt and find that I actually bought the rod on the 29th of August so it was actually used less than I originally thought.

Will continue to try and work something locally and avoid the 25.00 swap fee as I just can't fathom that being the intent of the warantee.

Also, I am in no way shape or form are trying to bash the company or it's policies....just checking to see if any others agree with my position.

Brhoff -If all else fails maybe you could get one of the expert FAOL rod builders to replace the defective grip for a reasonable fee.

Tim

Blog Entries

I'm sure Rick Pope and TFO will take care of the problem. I've got several TRO Pro Series rods and haven't encountered that problem. I would think TFO would take care of it
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread