+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes Steelhead Flies Swap

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Great Lakes Steelhead Flies Swap (Complete)

SWAP COMPLETED

Within a month, the tribs of the Great Lakes will rise, the air will knaw it's frosty bite, and most importantly - the Steelhead will make their annual migration to the tribs in high quanitity. In lieu of this, I would like to start a fly swap for Great Lakes Steelhead patterns. Unless I get shot down on this, I would prefer to exclude egg patterns. So if you are interested, please PM me with the streamer/nymph/spey/etc pattern that you would like to submit. Please also include contact information.

The swap is open to the first 12 tiers, where each tier will submit 12 flies.

Signup deadline is September 21. Flies due October 12th.

I will PM my shipping address as each tier joins.

Please ship flies (with toe tag/recipe) in a box large/strong enough to contain the flies that will be returned. Please take note to the posted flies and consider the size of the flies into box sizing. When shipped to me, please shoot me a PM. I will notify via this thread when each set of flies has arrived as well as when the swap will be distributed. Please let me know via PM when you receive the flies back.

Please include a self addressed envelope with return postage (no metered mailing strips please).

I am excited to see what creative/productive/reel screaming patterns we can compile!

Thanks,

Chris

PS. I have to give credit to bassman's excellent procedural instruction on the pink fly swap - thanks!

1.) setnhooked - Emerald Shiner Streamer - RECIEVED (for lack of better words)
    2.) ridgeliner - Steelhead Caddis - RECEIVED
    3.) Heritage Angler - Salmon River Flea - RECEIVED
    4.) sparkeymat - Crick - Unresponsive
    5.) feltsole - Hetero-Genius Nymph - RECIEVED
    6.) scubatim - Green Butt Skunk - RECEIVED
    7.) Kaboom1 - Marabou Shiner - RECEIVED
    8.) Wet Fly Guy - Steelhead streamer- RECEIVED
    9.) skip16510 - Steelhead Hammer - RECIEVED
    10.) steelie slayer - Red Pheasant Wet - RECEIVED
    11.)dessertrout - Hares Ear Soft Hackle - RECIEVED
    Last edited by setnhooked; 11-22-2008 at 02:16 AM.

I would like to join this swap. I will tie a Steelhead Caddis.

Thumbs up

Hi Chris! Good timing for this one. If it is OK with you, I'd like to tie the "Salmon River Flea". Hope this is OK since the flea is sort of an egg pattern, but different enough to possibly include it in this swap. It is also one of the hottest flies on the Salmon River for the past few years. Let me know what you think - I'll try to PM you a picture of one so you can see it before deciding if it is OK for this swap (if you aren't already familiar with this pattern).

For those of you that don't know Chris, he is an up and coming fly tyer that does absolutely beautiful work. I had the extreme good fortune to tie and fish with him at the 2008 PA Fish-In - his tying AND fishing skills are truely remarkable. I don't doubt for a second that we'll be reading about Chris in a flyfishing magazine one day, and I'll stand behind his word 110%.

Default Flabbergasted!

Well go ahead Ed and give me the bad news...how much do I owe you for talking me up? Don King would be jealous with your praising skills. Just kidding. I am humbled by your support and really appreciate learning from great tiers like yourself. It's being around people like you that have made me love the sport and hobby so much.

I'll put your sand flea...err...Salmon River Flea on the post.

Let me rephrase: I am not limiting this to NOT egg patterns but rather if you have a creative twist please feel free to go ahead. I just wanted to prevent involving glow bugs, sucker spawns, etc because I think we already have plenty of them (at least I have too many) and also wanted to share our flies as templates if anyone likes a specific pattern they haven't seen.
    Last edited by setnhooked; 09-12-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Talking

Chris - Guess you can tell I really enjoyed spending time with you at the Fish-In, and everything I wrote, I sincerely believe - just callin' it like I saw it.

My involvement with the Salmon River Flea began a few years ago, when a fishing buddy and co-worker (that doesn't tie) kept asking me to tie up this "hot new fly" that everyone was recommending to him for up in Pulaski. I finally found a picture of one and tied him up a few dozen for his upcoming trip up there. He did very well with the fly, and I've had success with it as well. I modified my version with a little more flash, and I'll tie them in the color that worked best up there - it isn't the color in the pic I sent you. It kicks butt in slightly off color water!

Still hoping to arrange a little PA Fish-In "Fall Reunion Steel Trip" if I can manage to sneak away from work for it. Things are a little hectic right now, to say the least. I'll keep you updated when I know more about it.......Ed

Thumbs up

If there i room, I would like in. i will tie the Crick. Fishes best in high dirty waters. A sure bet in my area.

I'm in. I have a couple of good patterns, so I'll have to think on it. Nymph or streamer.

-Jay

Smile

I would love to get in this swap. Not sure what I will tie but it will be a streamer to be named later. If I may.
    Remember we all live down stream

Thumbs up steelhead swap

I will play in this one!!
    I have not swapped in a while.
    I will do one of my SteelHead steelhead streamers
    Will let you know what on in a bit.

Wet

Count me in if you have Room

I'll do a Steelhead Hammer

+ Reply to Thread