+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Knead Bread Recipe Update

Hybrid View

Default No Knead Bread Recipe Update

If some of you have compared my recipe for the No Knead Bread to what is on the U-Tube video, you may have noticed that my recipe is just a little bit different than the video. Here are the differences and an explanation why I changed it:

1. Mixing the dough by hand is a sloppy mess. I did it once, cursed the method, then mixed subsequent batches using a silicon spatula which does not load up with dough, until I bought a Danish Dough Whisk from www.Breadtopia.com (this site also has a video series on no-knead breads as well as variations on what you can do with them). It's the bees knees and the cat's meow, and I'll never go back to the spatula!

2. I also changed the temperature down to 450 F from 500 F. I saw no need for temps that high, and the bread comes out perfect my way.

If you have questions just post them here and I'll answer them as soon as I get time.

Back to work...

Joe Valencic
    aka: Doughgod
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 09-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Never mind...
    Last edited by CO_Flyfisher; 09-08-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I'm a moron...
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    Never mind...
    OK! Sorry I missed the question.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Talking

Never mind...
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...nnaDanna_l.jpg
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Haha, funny!!!

Anyway, I tried this recipe and made a loaf last night to eat with spaghetti.

AWESOME!

I can't tell you guys how EASY this is. I made the dough the night before, then let it rise for about 20 hours. The work involved to make it was nothing, and the bread turned out GREAT!!! So easy!!!

Thanks for the recipe Joe V. I would love to see some of your others!

OK - question. I have a batch currently rising, and I wanted to try your parchment paper method this time.

After I fold the dough over, do I cover over it with parchment paper, or just leave it out in the open? (I'm guessing to cover it)

Also - I've been using a 5L corningware dish to bake my bread so far. It works just fine, but the loaf is not quite as tall as I would like. I also have a 3L corningware dish that I was thinking of trying (measures 8.5"s quare x 3.75" deep) - do you think it is big enough?

Thanks!

OK - question. I have a batch currently rising, and I wanted to try your parchment paper method this time.

After I fold the dough over, do I cover over it with parchment paper, or just leave it out in the open? (I'm guessing to cover it)

Also - I've been using a 5L corningware dish to bake my bread so far. It works just fine, but the loaf is not quite as tall as I would like. I also have a 3L corningware dish that I was thinking of trying (measures 8.5"s quare x 3.75" deep) - do you think it is big enough?

Thanks!

First things first...CONGRATULATIONS!! I told everyone how easy this was, so now we have someone else confirming the simplicity of this recipe. Now for the answer to your question about parchment paper.

I went to the thrift store and found some wicker baskets that were about the same size as the cooking vessels I use. You can use anything with a similar shape like a soup pot, large bowl, etc. Just something to hold the shape of the rising dough. BTW, I never spent more than $1 for any of the baskets, and here are some of them:

I take them and line the basket with parchment paper, making sure I form the paper to the shape of the basket, allowing a little extra to be able to grab the paper and drop the whole thing into the pot. I spray the parchment paper with cooking spray so that it releases easily when the bread is done. Here's what it looks like, sans the dough.

After folding the dough I place it in the lined & sprayed basket, them put the entire basket in a plastic bag for the final rise, tucking the bag handles under the basket to keep out any breeze. When the dough has risen for an hour, gently remove the basket from the bag, grab the parchment paper and place the paper and dough right into the pot, replace the cover and close the oven. Very simple. When the bread is done you can pick up the loaf by the paper and place it on the cooling rack, then remove the paper. If you used the cooking spray, it will just fall away from the loaf.

Hope this helps.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 09-16-2008 at 01:29 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

URGENT: NO-KNEAD BREAD UPDATE

Yep, what you are looking at is No-Knead Rye Bread, and boy-o-boy is it delicious. The crust is chewy and the crumb (inside) is soft and airy. I made the dough early in the morning, then baked it last night , thus allowing the 12 hour fermentation period to go its full length. Because the rye flour is low in gluten, I compensated for that by increasing the yeast by 50%. The height of the loaf is the same as the regular no-knead, so it makes a great sandwich loaf.

For those of you who have made the no-knead bread, just follow the recipe below and follow the same directions as regular no-knead that is outlined in the original thread at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/whatscooking/cookin090808.php. Here's the recipe:

No-Knead Rye Bread

Ingredients:

3/4 C Dark rye flour (Light rye will also work fine)
    2-1/4 C All-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
    1-1/2 t Kosher salt (other salts are fine)
    3/8 t Instant Yeast (that's 1/4 t plus half of that again)
    1-1/2 T Caraway seeds (Optional, although I don't know why you'd leave it out)
    1-1/2 C Water

Directions:

Mix and bake as any other No-Knead bread recipe.

Alternate Recipe by weight:

4 oz Dark (or Light) Rye flour
    12 oz Unbleached all-purpose flour
    3/8 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
    1-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1-1/2T Caraway seeds (Optional)
    13 oz. Lukewarm water

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

On, or about, 12:44 pm today,,, I took out of our oven a 'regular' No Knead ' loaf. 210 degrees. Perfect. Now 'she' wants to try the RYE!!!!! jeeze,,,

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    On, or about, 12:44 pm today,,, I took out of our oven a 'regular' No Knead ' loaf. 210 degrees. Perfect. Now 'she' wants to try the RYE!!!!! jeeze,,,
    Congratulations! Did you take any pictures of the new birth? Is there any left to take pictures of? Our loaf of rye was gone in less than 24 hours.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread