+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Managing a camera on the water?

Blog Entries

BR, I shoot with a Panasonic DMC FZ18 these days, an FZ7 before that. I got the camera for the telephoto, since I take a lot of wildlife shots. It is a digital, but is NOT waterproof. The key to using a non-waterproof camera is to NOT DROP IT IN THE WATER. I keep it cased.

The latest one-handed, no-place-to-set-it brown trout photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...wn07292008.jpg

Since I have a penchant for swiming and my camera is not waterproof, I store it in a Zip-Lock freezer bag, which are a little heavier duty than the sandwich bags that I have used in the past. While we have several 35 mm's and 5 digital cameras in the house including a digital SLR, I bought a fishing specific small camera. One of the Nikon pocket cameras. The price was right and if it gets wet one day, I will complain and kick myself in the rear, but the risk is worth it.

Rick

Great info everyone.

Yeah, I was packing my Cam in a waterproof bag, looks like a wp Cam is more in order.

This bag folds and velcros shut, takes a bit to open.

ALWAYS "TOOK CHANCES" until I recently dunked my Cell Phone, took 2 days to dry it out...luckily it works.

I have a very NOT waterproof camera which has a neck strap. IF I take my camera on the water I just sling it around my neck and one shoulder so it stays tucked back on the left side of my back. When I need to photograph something, I swith the rod to the left hand and pull the camera around with my right. I almost always shoot in full auto mode, so I make sure I have the white balance and ISO set before hand. That way, I can just adjust the aperture and shutter speed with one hand while holding the camera.
    Most of the time though, my camera stays home because I'm not prepared to face my wife (or myself) if I took a dip and dunked the camera.
    Most of my shots end up like these because I always fish solo.

I agree that a water proof camera is definitely in order!
    Leave No Trace

This should help if your carrying a non waterproof camera..Be sure to be home when it arrives!..I had ordered one of these a few years back while living in Syracuse NY..and It got stolen off our apartment stairs...Never have reordered....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/about/aquapac/index.php
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One View Post
    ...Most of my shots end up like these because I always fish solo....
    We got to change that one of these days, Ryan.
    The fish are always right.

I think you're pretty limited to fish in hand or lying next to rod pictures if you're by yourself (besides a variety of scenic or widlife pics you can take as well, been loving the rod/reel in foreground with wildflowers/river in the background shot lately, stolen from Trout Underground).

I've been thinking lately of bringing this weird little camera stand i have, that let's you attach it to a treebranch or something and getting it setup in advance for sure thing hotspots, and having it set on timer mode

Quote Originally Posted by jsalkas View Post
    I think you're pretty limited to fish in hand or lying next to rod pictures if you're by yourself (besides a variety of scenic or widlife pics you can take as well, been loving the rod/reel in foreground with wildflowers/river in the background shot lately, stolen from Trout Underground).

I've been thinking lately of bringing this weird little camera stand i have, that let's you attach it to a treebranch or something and getting it setup in advance for sure thing hotspots, and having it set on timer mode

lately i have been trying to hold the fish with the net bag to obscure my hand and make it look a bit more "artistic" Once i get that down i am going to try and balance my rod on the net frame to get it in the picture. Basically the same pose as the fish on the ground but with the net bag and water as a background rather than mud and leaves.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

The other thing you can play with is the extreme close up shots, of some nice scales or tail. Those turn out pretty good as well.

I have a waterproof camera (Olympus 1030 SW) in a pocket of my vest. I usually keep it preset to the macro mode for close-up shots. If I catch something I want to photograph, I either keep the fish in the net in the water until the camera is turned on, or I keep it on the hook an photograph it as below:

+ Reply to Thread