Thread: Crash Course

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One View Post
    (as opposed to fishing still water for gills and bass where the fish have time to call their doctor in to inspect the fly with a microscope, take cultures, run a blood and DNA test before deciding whether to eat it or not).
    Well since you provided such informative advice, I think its only fair that we trade .

Bluegill (the easiest fish to catch ever): I think the biggest thing is FIND THE BEDS (YOU CANT MISS EM)!!! Look for a spot thats about 1' to 2' deep and is covered in craters. If the craters are more spread out and there are only 2 or 3 and the fish seem to be bigger then there is a good chance your looking at red ear beds. I would They are there all summer if you want to catch blue gill you gotta find the beds! Be aware of the variation of bluegill though. If they are more circular in shape and have a bright yellow belly thats the kind you want. I wouldn't waste time on hybrids. They are usually never big enough to do anything with. If the bluegill are just looking at your fly and examining it (same with bass) then your not presenting it right. Heres what i mean by that. Ive found the best fly for bluegill is and will always be a green or white popper (chartruse or red tail is best but if you dont have poppers handy dry flies work). Land it on top of the beds and jiggle it about once every 3-5 seconds (make sure you make a light pop) and watch what happens. Sometimes its hilarious.

In my experience there are 2 ways to catch blue gill.

1. Feed them
    or
    2. Tick them off.

Number 2 is the fun option in my opinion. All you need is a streamer. Blue gills and red ear are extremely territorial. Just lead your streamer through thier territory and they will always try to kill it. (This works for bass too during spawning season but I wouldnt use dry flies for Bass, they hit the surface every once in a while but most of thier feeding takes place under water can't top a carolina rigged weedless worm for bass)

Anyway thanks for the Help, i'll give it another go and hopefully i catch me some rainbows.
    Last edited by manhex; 07-15-2008 at 06:34 PM.