Eric-WD,

That's part of my problem - I'm a technical analyst by trade. Most of those block kits (in the fine print) say they are designed to be used with bar type racks. They do work well right on the roof top though.

My problem is this Chevy Cobalt is designed to be light. That's how I get 30 mpg around town. I love the car it looks great and handles really well, but it was not built with durability in mind. I'm afraid a kayak/Canoe directly on the roof could cave it in!

I've been looking for a couple years now for a system to carry a kayak on this vehicle and just found that REI sells a Yakima system designed for this specific car. They also carry the Mad River Synergy 12 and can order in the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. Both are about the same price and I like the "Yakanoe" concept.

Now it's just getting to the point of making a decision - I have been looking at boats on Craigslist now for several years and have passed up some real good ones because I have no way to carry it. I just found the solution although it's a bit more than I want to pay.