+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Triggers

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Exclamation Feeding Triggers

I was wondering if anyone knows if the things that make trout strike are transferable. For example In Scuds there is an orange spot in the females abdomen that holds the eggs. Trout seem to prefer scuds tied with a bit of orange in them. So if I was say tying a Doc Spratley or a Black woolly bugger and put an orange spot in the center would that be a trigger even though it is not on a scud imitation? By the same token would a bit of Chrystal flash added to a scud trigger a reaction because it says minnow to the trout. Would a white bead head say chironomid to a hungry trout if it was on a Elk Hair Caddis?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hey Gnu Bee,
    I think your assumptions are correct. Red does seem to be a predominant color to use for tags. I know I tag my yellow sallies with a red butt. A sometimes popular steelhead fly is the red butt skunk. I also have had some of my best luck with westslope cutthroat using red humpies. I think red connotes blood to a fish, there by triggering an attack against what is perceived to be an injured or dying prey.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Yellow egg sacks on dry flies
    Eyes on streamers

A lot of streamers have red butts. A better solution is to have a red "trail" emanating from what would be the gill area. This simulates a blood trail better than just the red butt.
    I use a couple of trailing strands of crystal flash, flashabou or hackle, a red hackle or wool "beard" or just some red trailing thread.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Gnu Bee Flyer -

There is an interesting article by Jeff Morgan on a related subject on www.westfy.com.

Go to Articles - select topic "fly fly-pattern-recipe/Tying" and hit "go." Scroll down til you find a title for "Hot Spots."

John
    The fish are always right.

Smile Trout triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the things that make trout strike are transferable. For example In Scuds there is an orange spot in the females abdomen that holds the eggs. Trout seem to prefer scuds tied with a bit of orange in them. So if I was say tying a Doc Spratley or a Black woolly bugger and put an orange spot in the center would that be a trigger even though it is not on a scud imitation? By the same token would a bit of Chrystal flash added to a scud trigger a reaction because it says minnow to the trout. Would a white bead head say chironomid to a hungry trout if it was on a Elk Hair Caddis?
    GB, You might check out Gary LaFontaine's book The Dry Fly: New Angles. Gary did extensive under water research on colors, patterns etc. that trigger strikes. You might also look into his theory of attraction
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Gnu Bee,

I like the idea of the ultimate trigger fly. What if you tied a fly with all the triggers you can pack onto a hook? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think it could be the ultimate angler catching fly.

Heli

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopsyche View Post
    Gnu Bee,

I like the idea of the ultimate trigger fly. What if you tied a fly with all the triggers you can pack onto a hook? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think it could be the ultimate angler catching fly.

Heli
    Well one of the reasons I asked my question was to find new triggers to perhaps add into my flies. I think if you put to many in one fly the fish might not see the forest for the trees. Sort of a sensory overload.

Already I have considered perhaps
    1. Making my parachute flies a bit taller.
    2. A bit of red near the gill area in streamers.
    3. Feeding Deezel to a tiger so he can experience first hand what the difference is between a trigger and a tiger.
    4. Looking for Gary Lafontaine's book on ebay or amazon.com
    5. Yellow egg sacs on drys.
    6. Trailing red flashaboo seems like a good idea also

I already
    1. Put red butts on chronomids and other flys.
    2. An orange spot on scud abdomens
    3. A bit of green flashaboo on most buggers and leaches
    4. Eyes on Streamers
    5. Flashbacks on a lot of nymphs
    6. some white in the gill area of chronomids

Man I sure got some good ideas from this post. thanks guys.

#3-"Feeding Deezel to a tiger so he can experience first hand what the difference is between a trigger and a tiger".

Be careful, Gnu!! There's a lot of very stiff penalties for "Cruelties to Animals".
    And, I'd imagine..................... QUITE a stiff one for; "Causing an endangered species, long and painfully horrendous death, through direct poisoning".

It's also sad that Roy has passed on. Now, THERE was a man that knew A LOT about "Triggers"!!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Talking

Originaly this post was just going to be a but I got a message saying that this message is too short please re-send with 10 or more characters. So be it.

Flybinder, Yeah Roy knew a lot about Trigger's, but Trigger's what? Good to see ya back, Buddy.

Gnu, Abe Books ( www.abebooks.com ) has Gary's book for $14.74 and up. That might beat Amazon, but I'm not sure. I've done business with Abe before or I wouldn't suggest them.

REE

+ Reply to Thread