+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Whale

Default The Whale

I was sent this and thought you might enjoy....the pictures won't show and don't add much anyway.....

If you read the front page story of the SF Chronicle, you would have read about a female humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines.

She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, and a line tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the FarraloneIslands (outside the Golden GateBridge ) and radioed an environmental group for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her ...a very dangerous proposition. One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer. The men worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed gently around --- she thanked them. Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth said her eye was following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

ducksterman -

Might never have heard about this if you had not taken the time to post it.

Thanks.

John
    The fish are always right.

Ducksterman

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for posting and happy new year.

peregrines

Blog Entries

Wow, Thank you for posting that!!

Happy new year.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Cool story! Thank goodness for the rescue. The Farralone Islands has a large population of white sharks! If you are ever in the SF area be sure to take a trip out to the Farralone's it's really a great day trip and an adventure you'll treasure.

Thanks ducksterman for sharing the story!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Neat story. I had to search around, but here's the story link with pics: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGNKG7Q0V1.DTL

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

What a wonderful story! It just gives me goosebumps!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Great story, Thank guys.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Very moving story! Thanks Phil!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

That was a cool event. Glad the Whale and the divers are ok.

What a special thank you from the whale.

KOOL.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread