+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young is too young to learn FF

Default How young is too young to learn FF

My grandson turns 7 years old next week. I would love to get him into fly fishing but fear he may be a little too young. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts about it? What would a good age be to learn? He has been bait fishing for two years now and loves it.

Hi,
    I recall learning to fly fish when I was around 9 or 10. I would think if your grandson shows an interest in trying to fly fish, then let him give it a go. Probably best to see if he can do anything that even resembles a cast first. If he can hold the rod well enough, and if he can cast the line out a ways (does not have to be far), then take him to a small river or creek and let him drift some wet flies around. Wet flies are the easiest flies to present since a bit of movement in the line is fine, and drag is not a bad thing.

Lake fishing would be harder if the rod is too big for him to cast, and he might get turned off. Of course, you could try casting out a set of midge pupae, or small nymphs, and then give him the rod to hold since they can be fished static along the edges?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I started my son at that age. Get him a cheap outfit maybe a 7- 7 1/2' (light enough for him to handle) and just let him have fun.

When he goes back to the spinning gear let him. Imporatnt thing is that he has fun doing it. let him switch back and forth with what works for him.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

My son just turned nine and he has been flyfishing for two years now
    getting him to overhand cast for any distance has been a challenge but he has a rollcast that is really sweet and he is catching on to overhead a little better.just be patient and ready to untie a whole lot of knots.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

I started my grandson at 7 he was just fine with it. Even had a 9 ft 6 wt rod to start him on. Let him go at his own speed and he did just fine.

My son Chris who is 30 now reeled in his first fly caught fish when he was 2. My second son Shane was 3. So I don't think they can be to young. I feel the younger you get them started the better chance you have of them taking to it. Ron

How young is too young to learn fly angling? How old is too old to learn fly angling!

Tenkara, is what the Japanese call their form of fly angling. A Tenkara Fly Rod has no reel seat, or line guides. There is no reel, or fly line.

Tenkara is just a fly rod with a handle and a tiptop guide. The Tapered Leader is the same length as the fly rod. Attach the butt end of the tapered leader to the tiptop guide, and add a tippet section, to which you tie on the fly.

Cast the fly out onto (or into the water), hold the rod at a 45 degree angle to the water surface, as the line stretches out as the reciprocal 45 degree angle to the water surface.

So with fly rod - tapered leader - tippet - fly, a person can reach out almost 13 feet distance with a simple cast.

That is how I started my children into fly fishing and fly casting, using a
    4 wt fly rod. Without all the extra hardware (reel, line) they were able to handle the fly rod without overtaxing their strength or coordination.

Default How young?

I think it really depends on the young person.
    Some really want to learn to cast a fly rod and some it is only the parent of Grandfather wanting. When the young person really wants to lean, I feel 5 is not too young. My two grandsons asked me to teach them tofly fish.
    Not having a cheap rod, I places one of my good rods in the hands of a 5 & 7 year old and started teaching both of them to cast. Attention span was not as good with one but the other was outstanding. (my reason for saying it depends on the young person) I would say to not push. Allow the young person to progress from casting on grass to water at a speed that suits them best. Be prepared to untangle knots and replace tippet that is not fishable.
    The last visit the boys made to go fishin with me, the now 12 year old landed a 16 " bow before we even got a fly tied on the 10 year olds tippet. He actually had the fish to hand and already unhooked and was releasing it before Ben & I got to him. We were all proud. His choice of fly was a Chile Pepper, size 16.
    All 3 of us caught several fish that outing and I am looking foreword to them visiting to go "real fishing" their term for fly fishing, late this month.

Denny
    Denny

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as "too young." If they are not outright flyfishing, then exposure is the next best thing so let them tag along.

My brother started at 5, I was about 10. My son and daughter have been at it since 4 and 5 but at age 7 and 8, they are just getting proficient. Both were going fishing/camping though since they were in a carrier. Now, they just love to fish as much as I do and it's all they ever talk about.
    Teri

The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Here's my daughter at 1 year!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread