+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Augusta GA Carp

Default Augusta GA Carp

Do any of you know of any places to fish for carp in Augusta Georgia. I'm limited to shore fishing.
    Thanks for any help,
    Steven

------------------
    "Just when I've caught a nice trout and feeling very proud of my fly fishing ability, my feet fly out from under me and there I sit, wet, flustered and properly humiliated by the Fly Fishing gods."
    Jimmy Moore, "Taken Down a Notch or Two"

I suggest that you check with the local fly shops or tackle shops in the area. If they don't know of any, then you can try the Georgia Dept of Natural Resources and they should be able to give you some ideas of where to start looking. It has been my experience that most golf courses keep carp in their water hazards to keep down the weeds. You might try talking your way on to one of the courses. Just a thought...

p.s. I'll keep any eye out for you when they're playing the Augusta Open

Jim Smith

Go to [url=http://www.carpanglersgroup.com.:ae0da]www.carpanglersgroup.com.[/url:ae0da]

Check out their "flyrod carping" and "southeast" discussion boards.

[This message has been edited by deathb4disco (edited 27 March 2006).]

Thanks for the help. James Smith, I wish I could get on that beautiful coures they have. I will be checking out the golf courses if I can and I'll see what I can get out of the GA DNR.
    Thanks again,
    Steven

Steven,

I saw your post on the CAG site. I did a quick search for "Augusta" over there and found this post:

"...Clark Hill Lake is not far from the Augusta area. I haven't fished it for carp, but I would be willing to bet that they are there. Check the net for info on the lake. I fished it years ago and there are some nice parks and public areas on it."

I live there when I'm not in school and we have some MAMMOTH carp, its just a bit of work to get to them and they are few and far between. The savannah has a good steady of BIG carp. Small crayfish patterns are the ticket and you want to fish shallow areas between shoals. A good place to start if the water is down is to go to the waterworks on the augusta canal and walk down to the river. let me know if you need any more help.Oh yeah...they are SUPER spooky and incredibly smart.

PiKapp,
    The area that you are talking about I know pretty well. That is one of the first places I was going to try. For my first outing I was going to just chum with sweet corn and use it as bait. Not ff but it will give me an idea about what I would be up against.
    Thanks,
    Steven

+ Reply to Thread