Hey Robert - Am I even more of a sinner since I'm "in the business" ???? ( My rod company does make exactly 4 spinning rods. Does that help at all with some kind of absolution ?? )

Down here on the coast, when it's blowing over 25 with gusts up to 40, and considering that all this fishining stuff is SUPPOSED to be fun, yeah, I'll use a spinning rod.
If I'm Striper fishing below the dam at Texoma & they turn the water on, thereby making my backcast room go away, am I a total sinner if I get a big surf rod out of the car ?? I'm just tryin' ta have some fun.
Here's a bit of a fishin' story from a long-time sinner.....
Years ago, when I was living in Dallas and Lake Fork was newly opened (Yes, I did sneak in there a few times a little "early", but never got caught.), I got it in my head that I just really NEEDED to catch an over-10# Bass on a fly rod, since I was in the FF business, and, naturally, you were bound to catch at LEAST one 10 pounder every trip to Fork. Yeah. Right. This stupid quest took almost a full year.
My main rig was a 10 weight, sinking lines,20 pound leaders and 4/0 things I made that were sort of a giant woolhead sculpin. In other words, I was fishing a jig-n-eel, but with an odd looking rod & reel.
Focusing on Fork for most of one whole year, I did manage to catch several 7 - 9 pound fish in shallow water with more reasonable gear, on the nests (yet a further sin ), but the over-10 eluded me. I fished hard all summer, into the winter, and finally, the next February, in Mustang cove, I caught the biggest Bass I've ever caught on any gear, a 12# 2 oz monster that pulled fairly hard, but was mostly just weight on the line, a pre-spawn female, full of eggs.
Since there was a radio-tagged 15 pound fish known to hang out in Mustang at the time, there were, understandably, at least 8 or 10 other boats in there that day.
We all know how well sound travels across water. When I grabbed that fish, there were 5 or 6 comments that went something like this - "Look at that George !!! (Slim, Bubba,Wayne, whoever) That s.o.b. just caught MY fish on a G** damn trout pole !!!" There were a couple of other boats that came up, congratulated me, and thought it was pretty cool, but most of what I heard sounded resentful. Insane, I thought, and still do.
Well, I caught my over-10, but man was it ever a lot of work. These days, if I get the chance to fish a Lake Fork, and I know we're going to be fishing say, 15 feet deep on structure or hydrilla edges, I'm use a casting rod. Yes, I'm a sinner.

Cary