Guys,

I do really prefer to catch my trout AFTER the bass has eaten them....

However, all in all, it depends totally on the fisherman. I tend to take my bass/warmwater fly fishing pretty seriously. I fish from a boat, take lots of equipment, spend many fun hours designing/testing/refining flies, expect to do well. It's still fun, though, but it 'matters' to me to be able to catch a bass. I'll spend some time 'figuring out' just what works for that day. When I do, I feel like I've done something worthwhile. I love doing it. AND, I'll stick with it, and if it doesn't work feel like I learned something valuable anyway...

I spend the summer months in Colorado. No warmwater species close to where I am. Trout all over the place.

I'll go out on the lake (it's a quater of a mile from my cabin door and the boat is on the trailer parked right next to the top of the ramp..) with one or two rods. Cast a 'bugger or streamer for trout. Catch some. If they aren't biting, I'm on the trailer and into a good book pretty quickly (20 minutes max).

I'll drive to a small stream. One rod, small box of dry flies in a shirt pocket. Catch brook trout all day. Fun, actually REALLY fun, but if I'm NOT catching fish, I'd just leave. AND, I wouldn't care a bit. I'd not try to 'match' some egg thingy (hatch? like chickens do?). 'Figuring it out' would be WAY too much trouble, even while I know it won't be close to the challenge of figuring out the bass. These are trout, you know? Who really cares? If they ain't biting now, I'll try again in the morning, next evening, whenever.

If it's not 'easy' and it's trout, it ain't for me. I won't fish for hours to catch one like I will with bass.

So, for me, 'laid back' is what trout are for. Bass and bluegills are much too important for that.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
[url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:8bd94]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:8bd94]