White,

You REALLY don't know how a rod loaded to the point of failure feels until it actually 'fails'.

So, to see how it happens, we broke a few.

120 pound spiderwire and a moving truck will do it just about every time.

Here's a bit of just plain fun to know kind of stuff that came up.

No fly reel we 'tested' had a drag strong enough to break a 6 wt. rod. Didn't test many (we were playing with rod loads, not trying to test the reels), ruined two trying to lock down the drag with pliers...

Didn't want to build the rods all the way only to break them, so we just taped the guides on with masking tape. ALL the rod blanks broke without even ONE guide coming loose.

Wear eye protection if you ever decide to do this test for yourself.

Less defects, rods all fail in the same place (just above the grip).

Kids LOVE to watch stuff like this.

So do housewives (not MY wife, however, SHE beleives I'm completely nuts for doing this stuff...Wise woman, my wife...), cops, stray dogs, and the Priest from the church accros the street.

Wear long sleave shirts if you are the guy who is holding the rod when it lets go (learned that right quick-them little slivers of blank sting pretty good...).

CAREFULLY explain the concept to the guy driving the truck BEFORE you begin this test.....

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
[url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:25117]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:25117]