White,

To clarify, I never use rubber legs on poppers/sliders/divers tied for bass or panfish. There are other flies I tie where I DO use them, specifically a neat little foam hopper where they make excellent legs.

As to the rest:

First, I find them unnecessary. Fish like bass hit the 'whole fly', and it's the action of the whole thing that attracts them. Head shape (which governs how the bait 'moves' when worked) and overall length are the prime 'attractors' here.

Second, they add unneeded weight. They can tangle with the other parts of the fly, of if too long, the tippet and even the hook.

Third, they added unneeded casting resistance.

fourth, they are a pain if you happen to fish them anywhere near small panfish (which is, unfortunatley, the same generl areas you'll find the bass). Little gills, those 2-3 inchers, will be constantly grabbing he bait by the legs and pulling it about. Just annoying, at least to me.

After several years of 'testing' I found that the ones with the rubber caught fewer fish than those without. I build my baits to be 'worked' on the water, and I can't find ANY reason why the addition of rubber legs would 'help' a bait catch fish.

I know, however, that others like them and do well with them. Confidence is a big part of the equation, and anything that ads to that is important.

For me, they are a waste of time, and I can't justify the extra tying steps when I don't believe it helps.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
[url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:aa0a2]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:aa0a2]