You'll probably get a few differing opinions, but here's mine for what it's worth.

Your rod/reel will work, but you'll be a bit undergunned with a 6 in the surf. Plus, you'd need to be really careful about cleaning your equipment when you're done, most freshwater reels don't take saltwater very well.

If you can swing it, pick up, rent or borrow an 8 wt. with an appropriately sized reel designed for saltwater. An 8 should handle the flies you'll want to throw and will take care of the vast majority of the fish you'll likely run into.

As far as line/leader/etc., a weight forward floating line will cover most of your fishing situations. A "saltwater" line is a good choice, but my experience has been that the "tropics" lines are not too good for general applications. In the spring and fall, you'll find those lines stiff and unwieldy. For leaders, you can use straight mono with a bite tippet if you want. Any one of the tapered leaders in your local shop designed for heavier freshwater or saltwater use will be good too. A "bite tippet" is a heavy piece of mono tied onto the business end of a leader, and works to prevent break-offs from fish with teeth or rough mouths (ie., spanish mackerel and ladyfish respectively). I believe it serves essentially the same purpose as a shock tippet, which I associate with big game leaders where there is a leader, a class tippet, then a bite or shock tippet to which the fly is tied. Some leaders are sold with a bite tippet already attached. Scientific Anglers comes to mind, they make redfish, bonefish and other species-specific leaders.

Flies should include things like Clouser minnows, Whistlers or Seaducers, really any sort of baitfish or shrimp pattern. Chartreuse and white is a tough color combo to beat in Clousers.

One other piece of equipment you might consider trying is a stripping basket. It is a help in keeping your line under control in the waves and current, plus off the sand.

Good luck and have fun.

JB