tyflier,

I fully understand what you meant when you described the style of fly you wanted swappers to submit for the swap. It's your swap and you set the theme. As you should. I hope you did not misunderstand what I was trying to say. Actually, my comment was in response to another tier's post. I simply wanted to convey that, while most wet flies that are considered 'traditional' have some type of quill wings or wings from slips of flank feathers, these are not 'absolute' characteristics. There are other feathers and techniques as well.

In Leonard's book, he illustrates 12 wing types. 4 quill slips, a hackle tip, a roll,a spoon,a flat,hair,and 3 misc.

In Sturgis' book, he gives the recipes for 50 wet flies: 28 have quill wings; 15 have other types; 6 have 0 wings; and 1 I couldn'tmake out.

In the illustrations of Bernards flies from 'Treaty', there are several wet flies without quill slip wings.

Again,it all goes back to what someone considers traditional.

Now, as I said, your swap. You described the theme and rules very well. Traditional wet flies using quill wings. Someone else chimed in with an 'absolute' that all traditional wet flies had certain types of wings. It was that comment I disagreed with. Now this may pi** some off, but the wet fly tradition did not start with Ray Bergman.

Allan