Rex,

If you do a lot of this type of work in your tying, then you may want to progress past the heated bodkin altogether.

There is a tool made for jewelers. Basically a control box with a heated stylus attached by a wire. These are used to carve the wax models of rings, settings, etc., that are used in the lost wax casting process for gold, silver, etc.. The basic tool has a small (about 1/16 diameter) cylinder that heats up protruding from a pencil sized 'handle'. You can buy different 'tips' that fit over this, but for bending mono, burning holes in deer hair, most tying bench requirements, the bare cylinder works great.

The tool has a variable heat control (keeps you from melting through the mono). It reaches temperature quickly, about 30 seconds for 'high', and turns on and off with a simple toggle switch. The one I have has a 'built in' holder for the hot stylus on top of the control box. They aren't expensive ($20-$30) and are much easier and 'safer' to use than an open flame/heated bodkin. You can get them anywhere jewelry making supplies are sold.

I got mine used, from a friend, and have found lots of uses for it in fly tying and rodbuilding.

Good Luck!

Buddy