+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyeing ?

Default Dyeing ?

Anyone have chart for using Kool-aide to dye with.
    Rick

While you can use Kool-Aid or Rit Dye to dye your tying materials, it tends to produce more washed-out colors because it is made for synthetic fabrics. You will get much nicer results with acid dyes which are made specifically for dyeing fur and feathers. I've had success using dyes from all three of the companies that I show links to below. I sometimes start with a light color like yellow, dye what I want, then, add some other colors to get different colors. I posted a photo of some Arctic Fox fur I dyed using the acid dye. It's not dangerous to use and works extremely well. Here?s the basic process I use1. Wash feathers in soapy water. Johnson's Baby Shampoo works well. This removes oils from the feathers and helps dye penetration.2. Heat 1 1/2 pints water to near boiling. For best results use distilled water.3. Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dye, stir to dissolve. 4. Add feathers, heat and stir for 10 to 15 minutes.5. Add 4 to 5 tablespoons vinegar to set dye.6. Rinse feathers in cold water.7. Allow to dry (can blow dry). Veniard Fly TyingJacquard Acid Dyes dharmatrading.comhttps://gifyu.com/image/Sf07e
    Last edited by James Smith; 05-24-2024 at 07:56 PM.

Tried those with someone and found that they bother my sinuses. Allergies are a pain.
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread