Greg, Are you talking about the two part epoxy that Trondak makes or the one part urethane?
If you use the urethane, don't get any on you. It will have to wear off. It combines with the moisture in your skin.
Using two part epoxies is really not problematic if you carefully measure the equal parts and mix thoroughly. If you mix a larger amount, you will reduce the margin for error.
Warm the individual componants by placing the bottles in warm water before combining. This will make mixing easier and bubbles won't be as much of a problem. Ideally you should apply the epoxy coating at around 68? to 72? F

splinter, I'm curious why you would use interior rather than exterior varnish. One of the advantages of exterior formulations is the UV resistance, Another is they are often more flexible and handle temperature fluctations better. These are qualities I would want on a rod.

Jack, the satin type varnish is available in both interior and exterior types.
Varnishes are lower in viscosity and if you wanted to build a thick coating it would require several coats with ample time for drying in between. Most varnish formulations are not intented for thick coats like the ones many use on wrappings today.
If you want thinner coats then I suppose you would get a lot of rods out of a pint.

------------------
Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 19 September 2005).]