Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Falling in a river can be a very serious, even fatal, event. When I buy my next pair of wading boots I will be most concerned with traction, not weight. I would probably stay with felt, except that I am concerned that Montana will soon ban felt. If not felt, then aluminum. I always look to save money on reels, but not on wading boots.

My two cents,

Randy
I have been facing this challenge for the last few years. I noticed over the last 5 years or so, that my wading ability has not been as good as before. Part of the steady decline of getting old. I have always been pretty active, bicycling, hiking, etc..., so I figured it was inevitable.

My first approach was to get a wading staff. This helped when I got into deeper or faster water. I then started looking for boots with better soles. I thought I had the answer with the Patagonia Foot Tractor boots. These have amazing traction on slimy and uneven rocks. They are not so good on dry rock, especially dry rock with a dusting of silt. On a guided trip, I used some loaner boots that worked really well for me, Simms G3 boots with a Vibram sole.

I think the best all-around option out there is the Simms G3 Vibram boot with the aluminum studs. I use only 5 studs per boot, two on the heel and 3 on the forefoot. The rubber sole gives great traction on dry rock and good traction on clean wet rock. The aluminum studs cut through enough of the slime on rocks, so that they work much better than the soles without the studs. The aluminum studs don't skid on smooth rock the way that tungsten studs do. These are the best boots I have used.

This has only been part of the fix for me. The other part is an exercise program to improve leg strength and balance. Nothing exotic here, just the exercises I have always hated doing, but I can no longer avoid if I want to keep fishing streams. Squats, lunges, core work. Add some single-leg balance work to simulate wading and do this for an hour-long session three days a week. This exercise program has improved my wading confidence a LOT. Nobody is too old to benefit from this sort of program. I feel like I should be able to fish rivers for another 10-15 years, if I keep this up.

Hope this is of some help,
Ted