I have only three years experience and am at best a mediocre caster, but from my experience with the rods I would say for $40 what is there to lose!

I have the 763-3 and the 865-4. They were my first rods. I still use them and enjoy them. As the product description says they are moderate action rods. As I gained more experience I upgraded to an LSI which is a faster rod. Now that my skill has improved I enjoy the LSI more, but still for a relaxing day of short casting to Bluegills the 3wt is great, but obviously now that I have experience casting the LSI I can tell the difference.

I think if you are just looking for a rod for a fun bicycle or backpacking trip, recognize this is not going to be your best rod, then for $40 I would jump all over it.

Have a great trip!

If your concern is travel, you might also look at Cabela's 6 piece rods, but they are more expensive and currently not on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Stowaway-Fly-Rods/732371.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3 D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dstowaway%26CQ_st%3Db