The only thing that is predictable about the TSA is that they are completely unpredictable!

Yes, the TSA website currently recommends that you carry on fragile items like fishing flies HOWEVER the TSA folks at the airports didn't get the memo. They have and will refuse to allow flies on board aircraft. I have seen it many times. Can you get them on board at times, sure you can. Will you get them on every time, absolutely not. I always check my flies or UPS my gear down ahead of time so it's not an issue for me.

I did print out that page from the TSA website and put it in my carry on bag. I showed it to my local TSA people and after laughing they said "I don't care what the website said, there is absolutely NO way we will allow hooks to be carried on. While at the New Orleans and Miami airports when I saw an angler having issues, I passed along the page and again, the TSA folks said no way, no flies as carry on.

I do bring rods and reels as carry on at time and have never had an issue. I have however seen these same items refused by TSA screeners in the same airports at different times.

So, are you feeling lucky? Are you a gambling man? Personally I think you are better off checking a bag for any hooks/flies or shipping them down ahead of time via UPS.

Just some observations from an angler who flies 70,000 - 110,000 miles per year

------------------
Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!