Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I have to add that like Mr. Jacklin ( heretofore unknown to me) ,if I hooked into a 23" trout in my normal fishery, I would be equally elated and would certainly NOT cut the line in order to maintain my 22" statement. I merely state that if there came about an opportunity for me to travel to a fishery , even for nada, that contained 50" trout and THAT was the purpose of the trip, I could easily pass,. Therefore , onaccounta my "longer arms" statement, AM I GOOFY?

Mark
PS: Also, unlike Mr. Jacklin, had I been the "lucky" one, THAT fish would certainly have been released and my arms, such as they are, would certainly be able to "describe" it's size more "accurately"

Mark

No Marco, you are NOT Goofy. I've seen you. Your ears are much to short for you to be Goofy. You aren't Mickey Mouse, either.

We fish for different reasons. Some want to catch as many fish, or as many of a certain sort of fish, as they can. Some want to catch the biggest fish they can. Some want to catch as many species as they can. Others set different goals. Enjoying the peaceful, calming time on the water with others whom you like and with whom you feel comfortable is as valid a goal as any. You go out with friends, or make new ones. You cast flies to rising fish or to likely haunts of fish. Things happen. Events occur. Stories are born. Some stories grow to the status of legends, at least in our own lives. We are enriched in ways a ledger cannot understand.

As for me, my goal remains to catch a less-than-one-inch-long trophy creek chub. I have come close. I have the one-weight rod. I have the tiny hooks. Some day, I might achieve my goal. I want to catch my trophy on a dry fly. I don't care whether I'm viewed as Goofy or not. Personally, I really enjoy being out and splashing around in the water. Those who have seen me "wade" will be able to verify that.

Regards,
Ed