big difference between the 5wt. and 2wt. also a big difference in length. in theory, a shorter rod will not cast as far as a long rod, and a 2 weight is about 2.5 times smaller than the 5 weight. line weight is determined by how many grains your line weights... sort of like casting a spin rod with a size B sinker, as opposed to casting it with a 3/0 sinker... the 3/0 sinker will go much further. Plus... the length of the rod intensifies that just a little. I have seen (and own) a 7' bamboo 4 weight that will cast, stroke for stroke, with my 9' 4weight graphite rod. On the contrary, I have a 7'6" graphite 4 weight that will cast no where near the length that I can get out of my 9' 4 weight. It also seems like you might want to invest in a mechanism (whatever you may choose) to help you with your casting, and other issues like this one. I'm sure, if you continue to follow this thread, you will hear many good books and videos named, but the one that I always hear about is Joan Wulff's video, The Dynamic of Flycasting. That woman can cast a flyrod! Mabye you can get Castwell to chime in with some help... since flyrodcasting seems to be a specialty of his!
browntrout