My opinion is that there is a difference between a high end rod and a mid-priced rod. I think the most I have spent on a fly rod was $300 and that was for a used 3wt Sage XP and I enjoy using it. I also have a custom built Sage XP in 4wt and it was around $300. When I go fishing, I would say that I use these 2 rods the least unless I go to the Smokey Mountains to fish. I think the reason I do not use these two rods more here on my local rivers is that the 3wt is 8' long and the 4wt is 8' 6" and a 9' rod is easier to use on my home waters which are much larger than the mountain streams. For my local fishing, I am using a TFO Mangrove rod in a 5wt or a Cortland Big Sky 5wt or another 5wt rod with no brand name on it and all 3 in 9'. None of these rods cost anyway near the Sage rods and all three have warranties. So, with this experience, I feel the top end rods allow you to feel the rod load better which will improve you casting and that is due to better materials used and higher end quality control. It would be the same comparison between a high end skeet shotgun and your old squirrel shotgun you purchased from your local pawn shop. You could use either shotgun for skeet shooting but one would be easier to use and would outlast the other due to better quality.

I feel the high end rod would be lighter in the hand due to better quality material and stiffer which would provide better feel for casting. High end rods and mid-range rods will both catch fish and, in a good fly fisher's hand, I do not feel one would catch more than the other. Now if you are comparing which would be the best in a casting contest between pro casters, the high end rod may be your best choice.

So, if you want to know if a high end rod will out catch a mid-end rod, the answer, in my opinion, is no you will not see much difference. A person who is very good at presenting a fly and "fishing" a fly, can catch fish using any price rod including a broom stick handle. When it comes to a casting contest, in my opinion, it is a whole different story.......