By all measures, I'm pretty sure that a half ton could handle your trailer. I was only saying that I'd consider a 3/4 ton for myself for lots of mountain towing.

My F150 is a 2012 5.0L V8 with a 3.55 gear ratio rear end. While it is rated to tow a 5,000# bumper pull trailer (using a weight distribution hitch, I believe), and has a payload capacity of around 3,100# (the rear axle has a weight limit of 3,700#), I feel like the transmission is straining whenever I tow my Polaris Ranger side by side over the Bozeman Pass on I-90. It downshifts to 3rd gear (from 6th) going up one side, and then I'm always careful not to use the brakes too much going down the other side. I've got electric brakes on my trailer, and I doubt that my total loaded trailer weight is much more than 2,500 pounds. The truck does have what Ford calls "Tow Haul Mode" on the transmission, which can be used to downshift to lower gears, when needed going downhill, which is a nice feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
John,

I agree, more truck is definitely better. The Casita, loaded, comes in around 3200 lbs - in theory, our 2002 minivan could tow it; I could take Marias Pass through the Rockies, a pretty gentile climb and drop, but I'm pretty sure we'd have a dead Caravan long before we hit the Eastern time zone.
I'm pretty confident that a relatively newer 1/2 ton, with add-on electronic brake control for the trailer, will handle rig, but I'll take a look at the 3/4 tonners, too.

Regards,
Scott