Welcome! I reco you check out your local library for fly fishing books first. The ones by Orvis and LL Bean are especially comprehensive ones. and there's a ton of information available on the Net, including the links you'll find on the home page here. As you read them, you may have questions on things you don't understand. The FAOL forums are great places to ask those questions.

Next comes buying your gear. Go to www.cabelas.com and order a copy of their fly fishing (not fishing) catalog. They hae a wider selection of gear than most fly shops so you can see what is available to you and what it costs. If you have a good fly shop near you, I encourage you to buy there when you can. Keeping a good fly shop in business is in your best interests. There are other good catalogs and online stores where you can buy stuff. I'm recommending getting the Cabela's catalog at the start because it is so extensive. If you have questions about gear, this is a good place to ask for advice and opinions.

As you start fly fishing, you will encounter situations where you need advice. Come back here again.

I reco you start by fly fishing using purchased flies and, if you find you really enjoy it, then take up fly tying. You'll find a link to some great fly tying instruction on the home page here. It is very well thought out and was state of the art when it was done by the late Al Campbell.

FAOL forums are extremely welcoming and helpful to newbies. No question will be treated as a dumb one. You'll get more respect, though, if it is obvious that you are also putting some time into learning "on your own" when it is easy for you to do it.

Hope this helps!