Prairieschooner,

When at home and I am doing this I soak the line in the bathroom sink then take it over to the top of the stairway and make big loops down to the bottom floor (split entry house). However, I am often in motel rooms when I clean and treat my lines so it is a combination of soaking in the sink, then slowly walking around the room scrubbing down the line with the towel, and yes, the line ends up on the floor. When I get ready to treat the line I hook the line around the door handle (many motels have the handle rather than the round knob) and I walk back as far as I can with the line doubled from the handle to me. Then I walk the length of the line from the door to the rod and treat the line, keeping it up off the floor. If I need to treat more than the room will allow I start farther back in the line then reel it in up to the ending point of the first treatment, then finish the job.

When it comes to giving my line a good stretch in the morning before heading out, I often go out into the hallway, put the line around the door handle in the hallway and walk backwards with both the tip of the line and the rod/reel. After I have enough line out I give it three long slow pulls, no snaps, and that takes the coil memory out. Usually I am doing this really early in the morning so no one else is coming out of their rooms, but be ready to give them a quick heads up.

Larry ---sagefisher---