My approach was to build a line / leader combination which was essentially a leader with a tip section comprising about 15% of the starting length ( 14' ), the mid section also comprising about 15% of the total length, and a butt section comprising the remaining 70%.

I used the same 10-8-6 configuration as on my leaders - 10 strands in the butt section, 8 strands in the mid section, and 6 strands in the tip section. So basically the finished line / butt section is about 9' of ten strands and the mid and tip sections are about 2' each, stepping down from 8 to 6 strands. A tip ring was incorporated before the twisting began.

Danville 210 Flymaster Plus tying thread had been my material of choice for about eight years, and that is what I used for the Tenkara line / leader combinations. ( I recently found some 140 Danville which has become my standard for furled thread leaders for dry fly fishing, but I haven't used it yet for a Tenkara line. )

I've not used mono - just happens there is a spool on the desk. I have used 2# Berkley fluoro for some leaders, for nymphing with my conventional fly rods, but don't recall if I made a Tenkara leader out of it at any point.

Overall, the line / leader described has worked well on my TUSA Ayu. Chris has used one and a couple other folks reported back that it proved a satisfactory line / leader for them. But that was a couple years ago, and I am sure there have been a bunch of new products brought forth since then, and more serious attention and testing done to improve the performance of furled lines.

John