I debated on whether or not to respond, but, decided I would. Let's understand one thing up front and that is that the following comments are my opinions and nothing more.

If the class you attended on how to fly fish for trout recommended that one should use a fish attractant on the flies then I do not think much of the class because a fly presented properly does not need a fish attractant applied to it to induce the trout to strike it. Matter of fact, there are some "fly only" water that you could receive a pretty good fine for using the attractant.

If you are just starting out with fly fishing I honestly feel you will get more satisfaction from learning to present your flies correctly to catch your fish. If you really want to use a fish attractant on your flies, then I would recommend that you stick with the spinning rod and use worms and corn. If you want a challenge then learn to tie your own flies and learn how to present them to the fish and enjoy the accomplishment.

The above are just my opinions and are not meant to offend anyone and I do not feel the need to defend myself on how I feel. To each their own.....