Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
I did the pole thing too fishing. We did what we had to do, right? But how do you know the Asians were not doing this long before us? Or maybe they were the ones to put a title on it. Kinda nice saying Tenkara rather than long pole with mono attached and a fly or bait... It is the same in one word.
I still have my Grandfathers metal telescope rod Heck, Crappie fishers use a similar Tenkara style. Dapping is what you do isn't it? Tenkara is HOW you do it...
Maybe I ma not grasping what you are saying.
Goddess,

Not saying we did it first. Matter of fact, I'd bet that the Japanese or Asians did it long before we did. I just wanted to say that it was done here long before it became commercially marketed as an impored method of fly fishing. Maybe I'm not saying it right. All I'm saying is that a very similar method of fishing began to be used here without knowing that that method was a traditional way of fly fishing in a foreign country. Not trying to take anything away from the tradition. Just that the method was used, at least by us kids and others, because of simply being kids, necessity, limitations, simplicity, and other reasons. We weren't copying anything.
So, today when people appear to make this a complicated, unique, expensive, off-shoot, whatever of fly fishing, I just have to say that it's not new or unique. It is in part, getting popular here because it's marketed exceptionally well and fly fishers will buy a lot of stuff just for the sake of saying they have it. How many of us have heard the phrase, "He who dies with the most toys, wins"? Well, some fly fishers just gotta have it.

Allan