I've been using my Nor-Vise for the past 11 years and I have never experienced any problems with hook size. That being said, I usually don't tie much smaller than size 16 flies so I don't have too much experience with the really small hooks on my Nor-Vise. There is a special jaw set available from Nor-Vise that is designed specifically for the really small hooks. If that is what you usually tie, I would suggest that you contact Norm Norlander and ask him how much the vise would be with just the small jaws. You also want to use the Nor-Vise bobbins as they are so much easier to use than traditional bobbins (IMHO). The only disadvantage to the bobbins is that you have to re-spool your thread onto the aluminum bobbin spool, but that only takes a few moments with the chuck provided in the kit and an electric drill and a spool lasts me quite a while. I have five bobbins and probably 25 extra spools already spooled with the different size/color of threads I use. The Nor-vice really is a great system. If you want to know how people feel about them, try finding a used one for sale.

Jim Smith