... that show hooking mortality for trout is much less than 10%. So unless someone wants to link their supposed studies to their statements / conclusions, I'm inclined to ignore that statistic.

Having said that, as I've said a number of times, it is my experience and belief that wild trout, especially large wild trout, are much tougher than a lot of people give them credit for. With good C & R practices, and that can include pixels taken quickly as part of the landing and release process, the hooking mortality for these fish is probably somewhere around 1%.

Follow the link for some anectdotal information from last summer - and meet Howard and some of his wild relatives.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...8-Same-fishies-!!

Already this year, I've had occasion to document catching the same fish twice in a matter of a couple weeks. A wild 13-14" west slope cutthroat / steelhead hybrid. If I really analyzed my photo albums, I'd probably come up with at least a few more fishies that I've landed, photographed, and released at least twice.

That 10% mortality statistic may well apply to stocked trout. From some small stocked trout that I happened on last summer unknowingly fishing a stocked lake, I would be surprised that even 90% of those fish in that lake would survive being landed and released, even given excellent C & R handling.

John

P.S. I'm on the lookout for Howard every time I fish in his stretch of the crick. Stay tuned.